rod and reel combo

Hi folks,

I am a new member in this forum. Newbie as well for troll fishing the great lakes. My first trip to lake Ontario is planned for Aug 8th week-end and now I am in "shopping mode" to get at least the base equipment and lures.

I already bought a combo Okuma convector 30D Blue Diamond (medium-heavy action). Now I want to buy another set and I'm between 2 chairs about going for another similar kit or the Daiwa Heartland 47.

I want something versatile that I can use on both the riggers and Dipsys. The Daiwa kit do not comes in the med-Heavy action.

What do you recommend ?

Also, I plan to fill them with Fireline 30lbs test.

Also, I need to buy a couple of rod holder. Which brand works the best (my boat is a Trophy 21 ft)

By the way, I am french canadian from Quebec so, sometime my english may sounds weird a little :)

Welcome to the forum. I'm an Okuma fan so I would buy another Convector/Blue Diamond combo, I've had good luck with the newer Convector reels and Okuma rods, others have not.

You may wish to re-think the Fireline though, that will get fouled up pretty bad with fleas. If you are going to run them off downriggers I would suggest spooling them with 30# standard mono or Flea Flicker line.

As far as rod holders go, buy the best you can afford. Tite Lok holders work well and are a little more economical than Traxtech or Bert's Custom Tackle. Think about the long term before you go drilling holes in the boat for rod holders. You may be better off in the long run putting a track system down and then I would recommend Traxtech or Bert's.

DAN

How the fleas this summer ? Is the flea flicker is an good overall line over the fact it is non flea attractive ? I will fish the lake Ontario 3-4 days a year so I need a line that will work good in many conditions. For rod holder, I wan to put only 2 single holder on the sides. I already have 4 holders but the 2 at the back are pretty close to the outboard and not really convenient other than for trolling in the chute.

By the way if there are some trophy walkaround boat owners here, I would like to see their set-up.

My plan is to run 4 rods (2 riggers and 2 dipsys). I want the simplest set-up possible because once hooked, I want to stop the engine and retreive the other lines to feel the fish without the extra pressure of the outboard.

Cabelas has some good value combos. You can "combo-up" about any configuration you want. I believe the Cabelas trolling reels are Okumas packaged for Cabelas. Their Depthmaster rods are good and as with all Cabelas named items, you get a lifetime guarantee. If it fails or you break it, they will replace it with no questions asked. I suggest you get linecounters only for your first few reels to provide you with the greatest flexibility with limited investment.

Your English is better than my French.

www.cabelas.com