Leadcore reels

I picked up a spool of Mason Redicore thinking I'll put it on a Accudepth Plus 57lc, after talking to a buddy we figured if I ran this to the knot or to the knot plus 5-10 passes and a big king hit I would be out of line in no time.

So. My plan is to add some additional backing to the dacron that came on the spool but no my reel isn't going to be big enough.

What reel are you guys using for this type of set up and how much backing do you think I need.

Anyone use the Pfluger Contender?

Thanks

Can't remember how much dacron backing comes with the redi-core but the more the merrier. I used dacron backing on my full core reel mainly because I mostly fish Cayuga L. where big king runs are non-existent. Ran it on Lake O. a few weekends ago and was nearly spooled on a couple of mid-teen kings.

When I redo it I will pack in a bunch of power pro or similar super braid as backing. So .... my suggestion would be to clear all the dacron backing and go directly to the leadcore with whatever super braid.

I use an Okuma Convector, never used a Pflueger. As far as amount of backing is concerned, spool with the leader & leadcore first then fill the spool with backing. Wind it off and then re-spool backing first. It's the best way I know to maximize the amount of backing on the reel, helps you retrieve more line per handle crank also.

DAN

we use a Tekota 700 with 300 yards of 50# power pro, 10 colors and then 20 feet of 18# leader

use an albright knot to join the line...we also use a dap of superglue on the knot

hopefully this helps

I was able to put 300yards of power pro on the Accudepth Plus 57 and then a full 10 colors with about a 75' leader. Still a little bit of room. Its a nice reel and handles kings great with a smooth drag. For the money you cant beat it.