battery setup schematic

Aggler

If any of you dual battery pros out there can check out my schematic and tell me if it looks good, I would be VERY appreciative. My email is [email protected]

I was wondering if I should have the charging wire from the kicker go directly to the common terminal on the switch. That way I could shut it all down at the end of the day, but would I have problems with the charging circuits when running either engine?? I wish I understood this better. Thanks :)

The schematic at the bottom of the page is for separating dual engine charging circuits.. apparently.. but it can't be shut down at the end of the day.

Pq1k5qb9.jpg

Your schematic looks good except for one very obvious over sight.....The switch for your battery connects are missing the very thing you want to do...and that is shut off every thing at the end of the day....don't forget the OFF position on your battery switch...it's missing ;)

aVGMGwS.jpg

Notice the OFF position on this perko switch, this is the one on my boat and when you turn it off every thing is off that is not DIRECTLY wired to the battery..but runs through the switch....I think your problem is solved :D

Also for your setup useing a simple one switch two charging system on two batteries is this proceedure below...see schematic...You need to be aware that the two charging systems must be isolated, otherwise you could burn out a stator on the alternator...this will do it the most simple way...you can do others but they are more involved with extra switches to tie together everything or else isolator switches...This is by far the cheapest and easiest way listed below.

Normal Operating Procedures

In the "new" dual battery wiring, the two batteries and the two engine charging circuits are entirely isolated so long as the OFF-1-BOTH-2 switch is NOT in the BOTH position. The switch serves a dual function. In the OFF position it disconnects the house load from the batteries. In the 1 or 2 position, the house load is powered from a single battery as selected. In the BOTH position, the house load is powered from both batteries, and the two batteries are connected in parallel. The BOTH position should only be used for special cases, such as attempting to start an engine and needing additional battery power.

To prevent the paralleling of the engine charging circuits, when operating in the BOTH position it is advisable to only run one engine at a time. The only time the BOTH position may be needed is in starting an engine whose normal battery is too weak to crank it over. In that case, the selector can be moved to the BOTH position, temporarily paralleling the batteries and allowing the engine (whose battery is weak) to be started.

Once the engine is running, the switch can be moved out of the BOTH position, and the second engine started from its battery (which should have enough charge remaining to crank it).

Thus the normal operating procedure is:

For normal operation, select OFF, 1, or 2 as appropriate to attach the house load to a selected battery .

To parallel batteries for starting, turn the switch to the BOTH position. Return the switch to OFF as soon as first engine starting finished. Start second engine. If house load is needed connect to strongest battery, either 1 or 2

If the suggested procedure is followed, the charging circuits of the two engines will not be connected together in normal operation. One engine can charge two batteries, but two engines should not charge a common battery.

gxNJTu9.jpg

Thanks a lot Skipper! I already checked out that setup that you sent me. I found that also on Contiunuous Wave.. an interesting article. I changed mine so that the wiring from the kicker is routed through the common terminal on the switch.. that way everything can be shut off at the end of the day! I don't run the engines at the same time and checked with some mechanics and they said that this setup should be fine. Cheers,

Tony :) I appreciate your feedback.

There is a difference in some "Perko" switches. Some of them have an alternator disconnect switch that shuts off the alternator when you change the battery selection. This is to protect the alternator.