Moving to Rochester from California

Hello all-

I am moving to Rochester NY Tuesday the 5th to attend grad school in Rochester. I grew up in the San Francisco bay area fishing the Delta for bass and stripers. I then attended college in Los Angeles and got into fishing in the ocean for bass, sharks, and halibut on my kayak. I am sad to leave the great fishing in So Cal but am very excited to fish in NY.

I am bringing my kayak. Are there many kayak fisherman in the area? It would be great to meet some new fishin buddies who can show me around a little. I have experience fishing for trout, but no experience fishing for walleye, pike, and salmon and could use a few tips.

This is a great site and I hope to see you out there!

Phil

Phil, I have seen a few guys that use there kayaks and there is a guy or 2 that come on to this site. Check in the members list I think there is a gy that uses "Kayak" in his user name or you might do a search too. There are guys always looking to hook up with people to go out with and there is a link here to post if you are interested in that.

Good luck and Welcome to our site.

Welcome Phil. I've seen a few Kayak'rs in the Genny & on I-Bay. It appears to be a growing sport. Last year someone set up a removable Kayak course on the Genny, up by Driving park bridge. I'm sure you'll find clubs at school. By the way which one?

Tom B.

(LongLine)

p.s. if you've fished for sharks in a kayak, you'll fit right in to this group.

I doubt there are many fisherman at my school. I will be attending the Eastman School of Music. Most musicians don't like to fish.

Does the Genny have a lot of current? I would think it would be tough to kayak fish in a river.

I-Bay looks like a good place to start. I think I'll check that out next weekend.

Thanks for the help,

Phil