Trout fishing. Cayuga

Hey guys I'm kinda new to the lake, trout and salmon fishing. I have a trip planned to camp on Cayuga later this month and I plan on bringing my boat and fishing everyday. I've never trout fished on Cayuga before just canadagua, hemlock, and keuka and fished with Seth green rigs. I realize those are kinda limited and only work under certain conditions. I finally got a different boat where I feel comfortable mouthing down Riggers and other fishing equipment. What equipment and supplies should I start looking for? I would like to get into other ways of fishing for them. Dipsey divers, planner boards, divers, down riggers? What's the go to today that works well? Thanks for the help guys n

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Billy is right....it varies from day to day there. I wouldn't discount your Seth Greens for sure because even the landlocks can be deep out there (e.g. 80-100 ft down) sometimes and with the variety of fish being caught out there  you might end up with all you can handle if things continue the way they have been lately. You can also run some of the other options right along with the rigs. Flasher /fly combinations work there and be sure to bring ORANGE colored spoons with you :) There is something tobe said for running familiar stuff until you get a feel for the lake and then adjust your tactics accordingly as things change from day to day let alone weeks before going there.

Edited by Sk8man

If you have rigs your fine as sk8man stated. Just bite off one piece at a time and add things slowly. Before i had downriggers, leadcores, coppers and wire dipsys we ran a seth green and a mono dipsy on a 3 setting per side and a mono dipsy set on 0 right down the chute. Its not ideal to run dipsys on mono vs wire however it works well. We never even had line counters for them rods just level winds and i knew how many feet of line per pass of the level wind back and forth again not ideal but worked for broke highschool kids and caught alot of fish. Later i took those rods i used for mono dipsys and used them for leadcore rods. No need to over think it. Start with the rigs, add a rod or 2 when you can afford it start with dipsys if you like lake trout and move to adding coppers, leadcores and downriggers later

Edited by suttontroller94