Rigging a Trolling Fly

Hey guys,

It is possible or worth it to run just a fly off a downrigger without a flasher or dodger for salmon?

I am running light line, 15lb test on meadium to heavy action rods so I would be a little worried about adding the extra resistance of a flasher or dodger to this light gear.

I usually run spoons and j-plugs in the fall but was thinking about giving flys a try since I hear a lot about them.

Your thoughts?

Baytech

Without the flasher or dodger giving the fly the proper action as well as attracting qualitites, i'm not to sure that it would be very effective...

I've put flashers/dodgers on 12 pound Ande and have'nt had any issues but you just have to remember you are using light line and ease up on the drag and dont muscle'em to much...

thanks for the insight slimy i wil give it a try since I got a couple of flasher for free.

Rustyrat,

I am only running a small rig 16.5ft and enjoy the light line and rods for the fight. We bring in all the rods, stop the boat and hold on for dear life. I was just curious if I could run a fly by it'self or with a dodger or flasher and still use the light line.

Thanks again guys,

baytech

I gotta agree with RR....your just gonna loose tackle and fish. Your not casting, your trolling so there is no benefit to light line. Heavier line does not effect the fight when your talking about a 30lb fish with attitude. Different principles apply to Salmon trolling than most other fresh water fisheries. First off you shouldn't let a fish just run wild when there 100 boats around you. With light line you will have to pull lines, loosen the drag and then chase the fish or you'll be spooled before you know it. That's a major no-no when it comes to trolling etiquette this time of year. During the summer.....whatever. but not this time of year with all the other boats.

We were nearly spooled this summer by a 29lb 7oz King with 30 lb line....only had about 3-4 passes left on the reel before we got the boat turned. Sometimes you just can't stop these fish, even with the propper equipment.

we've run 12lb ande's in the past. Only time we've had a prob is from repeated wear on the line, this is fishing spoons and dodger flies. Now that we compete in many tournys we run heavier line, but if you keep the drags set loosely and check your line each time you should be fine.

I know many say they've been almost spooled and had to put tension on the fish to turn them around, the way i look at it is your line maybe be weaker but it is much smaller in diameter this means more on the spool which will make up for not being able to put the knuckles to them.

so, if you run 2 rods off one downrigger and the bottom line has a flasher / fly on it, what should the top line have? apparently you shouldn't run a fly without a flasher and you wouldn't run 2 flashers off the same downrigger would you? so would you run a spoon with no flasher off the top rod?

We have been fishing for salmon with light tackle for the past 5 years or so and have not had a problem yet. We usually only run two rods, three at the most so bringing gear in and turning the boat is not an issue either. We are just out there to relax and have fun, not we the derby (we don't even enter) If we happen to loose a lure or two during the year that is fine by us.

I was just curious if we could run some differnet setups to try and get another fish or two in the boat.

Thanks again for all the insight guys,

Baytech

Clearing rods to me is a big no no. Leave the rods in and you will be suprised how many times you will double up. Those kings feed in pods, where there is one there are many. That alone will put more fish in the boat.

you need to have some sort of flasher, dodger etc when running flies. If you are going to stack rods, run spoons on the top with a shorter lead. another reason to run heavier line is a big king will sometimes bite right thru 40lb test! If they inhale a spoon, you are not going to land that fish on 15lb. just tryin to help you out here.

RR