going to the rochester boat show feb 1----4th

dfg4240

I have a pontoon boat but thinking of getting a second boat just for fishing.

Looking at Lund boats 16' to 18'.

I started out looking at a used Lund tiller 14' for $3400 and a hundred boats later on 16 and 18 foot  used boats.

I really didn't want to buy a new boat but I worry about transoms and other things on boats 15yrs and older.(aluminum).

Wish me luck looking.

David

Aluminum boats transom and floors for that matter are relatively easy and inexpensive to replace. That would be the least of my concerns when looking at a older tin boat. Condition of motor and rivets if it has them , being leak proof would be at the top. If those are good you have a strong foundation to work from and if it cost you 500,-1,000 in material, when your done you have pretty much a new hull. Just my .02 

22 hours ago, Bozeman Bob said:

Aluminum boats transom and floors for that matter are relatively easy and inexpensive to replace. That would be the least of my concerns when looking at a older tin boat. Condition of motor and rivets if it has them , being leak proof would be at the top. If those are good you have a strong foundation to work from and if it cost you 500,-1,000 in material, when your done you have pretty much a new hull. Just my .02 

great answer thanks

Might get a Lund Rebel ss

Well I went to the show and ended  up buying a 2007 16'  starcraft  starfire  with a 50HP and a 9.9 four stroke kicker.

Has a cover etc etc. They are going to mount my simrad NSS16 evo2 Chartplotter  and Lowrance TotalScan Skimmer Transom Mount Transduce for me. Just wondering how fast that 50HP engine will get me off the lake.

I don't think it will hit 30MPH but it should be fast enough.

I was amazed at the prices of some of those jet skies now.

they are really up there.

I hope every one has a great fishing year.

david

Sounds like a good starter set up. Will probably hold most of its value, so when you move up a few feet it wont hurt as much financially. Correct on the speed, 30 tops, depending on how many people your carrying along with the amount of gear you load her up with. Easy boat to maintain and you should enjoy it . Good luck !!

thanks I hope to spend a lot of time on it.

I have all the time in the world and crazy me thinks maybe get a auto pilot and just spend a few days looking for wrecks.

I think they have a map somewhere of where   they are located but I think most are up around Oswego. I look forward to a lot of days on the water this coming year.

Edited by dfg4240
mispell

I cancelled out on the starcraft and decided to buy a new Lund Rebel ss 16 footer.

Has the sport trac system for mounting all your equiptment etc etc.

I bought it today at the show.This time I have to pay to have them mount the 16" simrad chartplotter etc etc.

Can't wait to get it even though I won't be able to use it.for awhile