dunkirk 10/5

Well...cold start today..42 when I got to the boat at 6:45. Started

inside...60 fow...looked pretty good...some hooks, lots of bait again.

Took a 4lb smallmouth that did its best to imitate a young steelhead.

One more little smallie. Moved out...good marks bottom 20ft in 100fow,

but never moved a rod. I remarked to my crew.."I can't believe the

walleye just left!".

Talked at the dock to my brother in law. He stayed around 100 foot the

whole morning...never moved a rod.

One more weekend and I guess we call it a season and get on the creeks!

John

Thanks for the report it takes the wanna go wally fishing pressure off .Last year this is about the time i started wally fishing for the first time and i was planning to sneak out .from the reports at G.L.A. site the great lakes alltogeather were off this year .Thank you Capt. John for helping me put some great wally dinners on our table My wife, son ,and bumming sister have enjoyed some great wally dinners cause of you .(now you owe me 600.00 in gas money for chasing those fish). this year ive seen tons more bait fish on my trips to Erie and on Ontario also,One can only guess as to the reason for the decline in catching. After seeing the maga run of salmon in the salmon river alone LO had no shortage of fish i think they were just full and following a diff. pattern due to winds .I shurly know it wasnt my lacking of raw skill in catching fish.Maybe next year..................Ray K. P.S. see ya in lockport in the spring I think im due to setup a table and reverse the cycle of fishing tackle i cant even walk in my 14 x 42 shop without dodging fishing stuff .

Ray:

Everyone has their own opinions....but here's my 2 cents. Overall,

June and July were really pretty good, as was the first part of September.

August was a tougher bite, as was the last couple of weeks.

I think the bait was a huge factor, as we saw tons more bait consistently

this year then I recall over the last couple of years, and we had many walleye spitting up minnows in the box, or that had full fat bellies. I also think weather played a part, as it seemed most weekends when we were running were windy and rough. That reduced our abililty in some cases to get the full spread out. Plus the rocking of the boat causes the lures to run different too.

We've had some great late September/early october fishing the last few

years, but that's been on a calm lake. Basically most of the last 10 days

was rough until yesterday, and she's rocking from the NE again already

today.

It was a fun year no matter what...the new boat has been great, and as usually lots of laughs and stories to remember from the summer. We too got our share of walleye dinners in, and I have a couple of chunks of steelhead ready for the smoker. Really, how can I complain about all that?

So, we pick the first good day next weekend, get her out of the water and ready for bed......then its time to break out the floats and waders, and to start pouring over the catalogs to see what I need to order for next year!

Ray...I enjoy posting on LOU, and pretty much now its the only place I put my fishing reports, since Chad linked it thru to my website. I hope that the information at least pointed you in the right direction.....

Bud and I are already signed up for Lockport, and looks like we'll be at Hamburg too! The wife's been looking at the "extras" in the garage, so I think its time to make a list and see if anyone needs some of my unused

stuff! Get your cash ready Ray!

John

Ray...i feel your pain...is it really pain? I always have to laugh to

myself when the post appear every year.."How may rods/reels

do you have?" and posts like that.....as I sit here looking at the specs

for a new fly rod.......

At least she doesn't ask "what's in the this box?"