Raymarine SmartPilot X-5 Sport

stinger

OK......I know we are into the hunting season and most guys are putting their boats away but I'm still thinking about fishin' and starting to shop for a new autopilot. My present unit (King AP2000) is 17 years old, overhauled 6 years ago and although it is still working Ok I'm going to retired it this winter. I'm thinking about replacing my steering system (cable) as well with a new hydraulic system in the spring. My boat is a 19' glass hardtop with a outboard engine.

The Raymarine SmartPilot X-5 Sport came out this year and I was wondering if any of you have one and what your experience/opinion is.

http://www.raymarine.com/ProductDetail. ... ODUCT=4177

The new unit looks good on paper but does it work?.....all the time?....not like the old sport pilots did.

Any input will not only help me but anyone else in the market for an autopilot in this class boat.

Stinger,

I've been waiting for six months to get this unit for the cable driven steering on my '08 Trophy. I've spoken with several customer service reps at Raymarine (the local Marinas don't really have all the details) and finally last week I spoke with one of the "tech guys" and apparently there is a problem with the software/hardware on these units and thus they aren't going to release it until December/January. I think they may have released some units already, but b/c of the problems they were recalled.

I don't have any other information other than it's supposed to be an economical choice for cable driven steering. Since there has been issues with the computer, it's hard to get any useful feedback.

- Chris

Thanks for your post Chris.

I was afraid that there was a problem with those units seen as no one has been talking about them in the various autopilot topics.

That's too bad. Raymarine just can't get it in this class of autopilot. I really hate to say good bye to my King because it has given me great service for 17 years in two different boats but I don't want to wait until it breaks before I do something about it and I really can't change my steering without replacing the autopilot. Right now time is on my side so I'll keep looking & shopping.