Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Cheers

pike leaders

Guest Cheers

I was wondering what pound test floro to use for pike. Last year I used clear nylon leaders with good success, but Im looking to improve. How long of a leader should I use ?

Cheers,

30 or 40 lb. Seagar is great pike leader material. I have been using it the past couple seasons and getting more flags on pressured bodies of water.

Guest Cheers

Thanks Gambler, How short of a leader can I get away with.

I run 3' leaders. I have not tried shorter (unless I was fishing Braddocks).

Guest Cheers

Cant wait to try it, along with my new Nihls Master 8" auger.

I hear you on that one. I tried walking on Braddocks the other day after duck hunting. 1 1/2" with some open holes scattered all over. Not long as long as the weather cooperates.

Carpedium,

I use 30 lb. Mason Tip up line. The 30 or 40 is what I have found heavy enough to not get bitten off by large toothy critters. I use a Sampo swivel between the tip up line and the leader.

Carpedium,

I use 30 lb. Mason Tip up line. The 30 or 40 is what I have found heavy enough to not get bitten off by large toothy critters. I use a Sampo swivel between the tip up line and the leader.

Thats what I use also....I believe you told me too...lol

Is 20# Seaguar too light? Got a bit leftover from last summer and was wondering if the 30# - 40# minimum was learned through trial and error...

I tried 15 up to 30 and settled with 30. The big pike would head shake at the hole and break the lighter leader no matter how light I faught them. I landed a lot of pike on 15 and 20 but did not want to lose a big pike. some guys swear by 15 lb but I think they are crazy.

I have been using 50 lb power pro this season and its been great... 50lb test and 12 lb diameter.. plus being braid its hard to cut