So basically what you’re saying is if my riggers are 80-100 down, my 10# fishweights should not be blowing back at a 45degree angle but more perpendicular?  The angle of the cables then should give me a better idea of my down speed then.  Correct? 

So basically what you’re saying is if my riggers are 80-100 down, my 10# fishweights should not be blowing back at a 45degree angle but more perpendicular?  The angle of the cables then should give me a better idea of my down speed then.  Correct? 
To make it simple, the current is going in different directions depending where you are. There's no safe way to tell you're down speed without a probe. Going one way you might not be able to go fast enough but the other way you might no be able to go slow enough. You can read the cables if you're seasoned to that like I grew up doing but the currents are bad and going all different directions. Hard to keep up with it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

To make it simple, the current is going in different directions depending where you are. There's no safe way to tell you're down speed without a probe. Going one way you might not be able to go fast enough but the other way you might no be able to go slow enough. You can read the cables if you're seasoned to that like I grew up doing but the currents are bad and going all different directions. Hard to keep up with it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

This is why you need to be turning a lot going with against,  sideways , and angles to the waves so you are at least going the correct speed some of the time . Buckets in and out of the water a lot till you dial it in . 

Yes there are crazy currents out there you have to deal with but it's not impossible without a probe . 

If you are marking fish and not hooking up . Most likely it's you speed . If you use proven lures . 

IMO it doesn't have to be exact . 

The only time SOG  will help is if on the hit isay  you are going with the waves and you note the speed . Going into the waves will be different , probably slower at the ball  but faster boat speed . 

Note direction and SOG on the hit and duplicate it . 

Good point about the changing up of direction. I was only doing it occasionally but worried about crossing lines.  I was running a ff down low 15’ behind the ball with a high spoon back further and 2 more spoons out 25’ - 35’ on the other DR .  Unless i am turning real tight is there danger of crossing lines with this setup or do they all move together

I guess with all the lines at different depths in 20’ increments they really shouldn’t cross at all.  If one DR has lines set at 85’ and 65’ with the other set at 75’ and 55’ that should allow for plenty of movement I would think

If you are marking a lot and not hooking up, it is because there is something in your spread they do not like.  I found last season, less is more most days.  Too many riggers in the water made fish shy away from the spread.  Too many flashers in the riggers put them down some days also.  Speed, direction of troll and lure selection play a bi part too as mentioned above. 

BTW thank you all for your tips, it definitely helps cut down the learning curve.  I’ve done a lot of previous research but a lot of it comes with personal experience with your boat and equipment so at least I now feel like I can put your info to use next time I’m out and for future trips as conditions constantly change