Another auto pilot question.

phil2

Have a 262 penn yan competitor. Also have a t9.9 with tr1 gold love it. But like anyone that fished this year it was bumpy. My 9.9 struggles when it 3 ft and bigger. Its just to hard with cavitation. A couple time heading into wind i ran my main has the 454 in it carb sucks normal conditions i troll way to fast. But 4 ft rollers it holds 2.3 2.4 perfect. Looking for a inexpensive auto pilot for my main. But i might be ok with kicker i turned down the gain it stopped flapping back and forth this fall. But would love the second option. Of the main. 

I run the same kicker/TR-1 setup on a Penn Yan 255 and have the same problems when it gets too rough.

I found it works if I run my main motor with the steering locked straight ahead, drop in a couple trolling bags so I can run 900-1000 rpm and  then let the kicker with the TR-1 steer.  This also lets me fine tune my speed with the kicker and the bags help a lot to calm down the boat.

Only negative is the extra fuel of running both motors.  

Adjusting the "sea state" setting on the TR-1 really calm downs the kicker 

• 3 weeks later...
Have a 262 penn yan competitor. Also have a t9.9 with tr1 gold love it. But like anyone that fished this year it was bumpy. My 9.9 struggles when it 3 ft and bigger. Its just to hard with cavitation. A couple time heading into wind i ran my main has the 454 in it carb sucks normal conditions i troll way to fast. But 4 ft rollers it holds 2.3 2.4 perfect. Looking for a inexpensive auto pilot for my main. But i might be ok with kicker i turned down the gain it stopped flapping back and forth this fall. But would love the second option. Of the main. 

my buddy has 26 pennand has 15 hp kicker wrks great wth tr1 in wind

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app