OLCOTT PEN PROJECT - PEN PUT IN

SALMON & STEELHEAD PEN PUT-IN

SAT. APRIL 11TH, 9 AM

WE WILL BE RAISING 50,000 KINGS AND 3,500 STEELHEAD AGAIN THIS YEAR.

NEWFANE TOWN MARINA, OLCOTT

JUST FOUND OUT FISH SHOULD BE COMING WEEK OF APRIL 13TH. SORRY FOR SUCH SHORT NOTICE AND HAVING TO DO IT ON THE SATURDAY BEFORE EASTER.

I IMAGINE MANY HAVE PLANS ALREADY IN PLACE SO VERY IMPORTANT THAT THOSE THAT CAN COME TO HELP COME AND BRING A FRIEND OR FAMILY.

DON'T FORGET YOUR WIRE CLIPPERS TO HELP WITH THE TIE- WRAPS.

THE TOWN OF NEWFANE, TOWN SUPERVISOR TIM HORANBURG, MARINA MANAGER DAWN WILSON AND WES AND AMY AT SLIPPERY SINKER HAVE ONCE AGAIN COME TO OUR AID EVEN ON A HOLIDAY WEEKEND, THANK YOU FOR YOUR CONTINUING SUPPORT !!!!

THANKS TO ALL OF YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT, WE HAVE SHOWN WHAT A COMMUNITY CAN DO TO BETTER THE FISHERY WHEN WE ALL WORK TOGETHER.

QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CALL OR WRITE:

CURT MEDDAUGH 695-0141 [email protected]

http://WWW.LOTSA.ORG

Why is the Oak getting way more fish than Olcott? :@ Seems to me we should have equal amount!!!!!!!! Just wondering not trying to stir up anything!!!!!!! :o Whould love to help out Tim contact me have four kids that would love to come down and help feed!!!!!!! :)

Todd, the Oak gets more pen fish because they have had studies conducted on their project that conclusively prove that Pen Rearing is beneficial to survival and returns at that site. Those studies haven't been conducted at Olcott yet, but hopefully in the near future with the marking/tagging capabilites of the fish marking trailer, we will be able to do the same and increase our pen held amount. Olcott is still getting our standard 130,000 (or so) stocking, but without the study, we are limited as to how many we can pen rear, the balance are direct stocked.

For what it's worth, last year with the low numbers of fish available due to the poor returns at the hatchery and low numbers of fish to stock, we were allowed to pen Olcott's entire allotment of 72,500 kings (don't quote me on the numbers, 67,500 also comes to mind), but now that stoking numbers are back to normal, we are back to our standard 50,000 without the study.

All of the feeding info is available on the LOTSA website. I have a feeding schedule set up where you can request the dates and times for feeding and I update the feeding schedule with requested times every evening thoughout the pen project. Feeding the fish is a lot of fun, it's like feeding a swarm of starving pirhana especially the steelhead pen (because they aremuch larger than the baby kings and more active and aggressive). It's a great things to get kids involved in.

Thanks,

Tim