Opinion on Down Riggers

hey everyone, looking to invest into a pair of Riggers for my boat. Nothing too fancy just something that will get the job done. Something reliable and easy to use. . .

Was thinking of the Scoty 1116 but have not experience.

So if any of you experienced Rigger users have any good advice, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks in advance,

Arnaldo

Hey Arnaldo, hows it goin eh? I have a Scotty 1116 and I love it. I must say, these days almost all rigger manufacturers make quality products, its just a question of how much you want to spend and the features youre looking for. I can recommend the Scotty because its never let me down and its easy to use. Its belt driven, not gear driven and uses gravity to pull ball down. That way, you actually only use the motor to bring the ball up. Im running a 15 pound ball with mine and use Scotty releases. Other people will no doubt recommend what they use, but as I said the Scotty 1116 has been a quality product for me. Hope this helps. Good Fishin to ya!

HI, Sure have some great choices. seems like most of the majors stepped up there game. I myself, have only used cannons and the scotty's, which I have now. The cannons served me well for many years( 3 mag 10s' and 2 Marlin hp's) . The only problems I can recall with the cannons was an occasional short stop malfunction ,that used to take out the boom pulleys, that were very chinsey on those models. Those riggers went with the boat when I sold it. Rigged a new, old boat, I now run 3 scotty 1116 's. They have been perfect so far (3 years). You can't beat the warranty and they sell at a great price. If you decide on the scotty's, Do yourself a favor, also get the retroease to pull in your weight to set your lines in the release. You won't have to tilt the extended booms back,Which is almost impossible, or swivel the base, to set your lines. Retroease is the best way to go on any rigger that has a long boom. I am not sure what scotty calls it, it might be retreiver, I do know cannon calls it retroease. Love the Scotty's would not go back to my old cannon's, but they have come a long way since I bought mine (cannons.) Hope this helped and good luck, bushwacker