Conesus Walleye and Walleye Night Trolling or Casting

scramp

I know (forget the name, but respected person here everyone listens to), mentions to cast the shallows of Conesus for Walleyes at night. I've tried now 2 years in a row. The first year (NOTHING) casting shallows. Second Year, only one, but a very nice one trolling a rapala slash bait type.

Anyone ever use swimbaits (soft baits) for trolling or casting them into the shallows at night? Been reading a lot about it in magazines but never talks about potential of trolling them versus the traditional rapala or casting them to the shallows. Both of course with VERY LIGHT jig heads????

I have trolled them up north with some success. A few of the guys called it snap jigging. We were in 14 foot boats with 10hp motors, just idle along and troll, but every 10-15 seconds you would snap the rod forward 2-3 feet. I guess the idea behind it is when you pull forward the bait rises of the bottom, when the rod is brought back, the bait moves back down. It seemed most hits were either on the "snap" or on the descent. We used Fin-s and Berkley Gulp Alive minnows. Water depth 8- 10 feet. I don't think this would work in water deeper than maybe 15.