Cannon speed n temp probe mounting advice, tips

I just bought a speed n temp gauge from a fellow LOU member and am worried about losing the probe. I am new to this whole style of fishing so any help will be appreciated.

I am mounting the probe on and older mag 10 with coated cable. I guess what I would like to know is if anyone has come up with a rig to keep from losing the probe, the set up that they have doesn't seem that great. I know I seen a set up on here once but I couldn't find it again. Also any tips as far as the downriggers, probe, display, wiring, or any tips you might have I'll appreciate. I have a boat, 2 downriggers, speed n temp monitor, poles, rod holders, and some lures and dipseys, and to be honest no idea what I am doing. I am planning on mounting all this stuff on the boat this weekend so maybe you can save me some headaches.

Thanks for reading and for any advice you might give

The 1st thing I would do is get a hold of Cannon and ask Peter to send you a new release clip to replace the one that came with it. I Had the Cannon and found out after mine slid to the deep they recalled the release. It's faulty

I rig mine the way the instructions say, but it looks kind of abusive to the cable. I saw last year in a post where someone on here made a piece and had pics to explain what they did. I always meant to rig mine the same but haven't yet.

Here the post which shows the clip I also have the Cannon with the same clip.What type of clip did they send you for a replacement? any pictures.Eric made these clips out of SS and then we put a dropper cable on the bottom and it works great I clip it on and off. I will see if I can get the dimension for the clip.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5029

Yea I like that set up, think I'll work on that today. How about running the cables to the monitor, I was going to put the monitor on the dash next to the fishfinder but will have to run the wires pretty close to my other wiring, has anyone had problems with interferance from other electronics?

Another question for ya, how about the spring and wire that mount on the downrigger, after you put that on it seems like the downrigger can't be removed very easily, I was hoping to be able to take mine on and off as I used them(and for security purposes) has anyone come up with a way to disconnect the spring?

My rigger stays on the boat but I think someone said that they put a video connector on there (like what the depth raider has and it worked that) I'm not sure of give Jeff a call at Fish307 and as him he is a cannon service rep he might be able to help you out. I think you will be OK just don't twist the cables together run them side by side it should be s shielded cable.

good luck

jer9580, the spring can easily be unwound around the cable. To remove the antenna from the cable, spread the end of the spring wire and insert the rigger cable into the spring ( this is at the end of the spring towards the rigger boom). Push the rigger cable thru the spirals of the spring until it comes out of the last coil at the rear of the spring. To reinstall, wedge the rigger cable between the straight section of wire going to the the coax cable and the first coil. Rotate the spring around the cable so thet the rigger cable feeds thru the coils until it comes out at the end. It is really easy and only takes seconds.

No need to chop into the cable to add a video connector plus less connections to fail

I have been doing it this way since cannon first came out with the unit.

Never even thought of that Eric, And thank you for helping out a new guy. I see your port is oak orchard that is where I will be keeping my boat also so hopefully I will see you out there some time!