Seneca North End 5/9 report

Fished the East side from about 6:30am to 10:30 am. Went 15/22 all lakers. Almost all came on wire with the exception of 2. Biggest was around 9lbs., rest in the 3-4lb range. about 5 boats running the same stretch, did not see much else caught. Ranged from 40-50fow. Water temp of 53 bringin them in!!! Also grabbed about a 2lb perch and 1 pike, great day on the water!

Sounds like a great day!

I am new to fishing as of last fall and have a boat w/2 downriggers. Catching a few lakers last fall was fairly easy - they all grouped on the thermocline and we would just drop the weights to that depth and troll with spoons. We would usually catch them at least once/hour. Also, I don't have a trolling motor, just my inboard/outdrive - so my speed isn't super controllable at low speeds for trolling, but it seemed to work.

...Then we went out yesterday, 5/9 from ~9am-12pm. Not a single bite. We tried spoons on the downriggers dropped to 45-90 feet in 100-135 FOW. We also tried trolling a spoon on the top, rapala's in ~5 feet & deep diving rapala's (~15-20feet), again in 20-135 FOW. Again, not a single bite. Fish finder was marking them everywhere from 20-110 ft.

I'm looking for some detailed help! Where are the fish? How do I catch 'em? Are there any LL Salmon or Browns in northern Seneca?

Any advice would be great! Thanks in advance!

hey scruffytoad, where were you on Seneca? I may have seen you out there, I had the white 22' Trophy "Blue Ghost" running the east shore near the pump house. What were you running for speed? This time of year for lakers you want to be 1.2-1.6 mph. Fall you can get away with 1.8-2.4 mph. Green Spin Doctors, green flies have been good this year. NK 28 frog also has its days. We use a trolling plate with an i/o but maybe even a bucket over the side or drift bag may work enough. Sounds like you were running the right depths,wrong speed. hope I can be of help and good luck! Let me know

Hey blueghost, thanks for the tip! Speed may definitely be the case...depending on direction vs. wind we were probably running 1.8-3.0MPH, sounds a little high. I'll bring a bucket or two and try that next week!

I have a Sea Ray 215 (not always a fishing boat when the wife is around ;) ), was running some west shore and some mid-lake near Glass Factory Bay & Belhurst. I'll go down as far as Sampson once in a while, depending on how ambitious I'm feeling!

Thanks again I'll keep an eye out for you!

BTW: I stopped in Ithaca today at Treman marina on Cayuga lake and a charter down there cleaned house! They had more fish than I could count! Caught on rapalas, all in top water (<5ft)

Ranged from 40-50fow. Water temp of 53 bringin them in!!!

Nice...Finally fishing the way I'm used to! Great report! It's good to see you were able to sneek out...How's the little one doing?

I was on the Big pond trying to scare up a big brown for the LOC...We lost a big one at the back of the boat last weekend...other than that we caught a lot of cookie-cutter browns (football shaped 2-3 lbers)...Biggest fish in the boat was 7.5 lbs.

I'm looking forward to getting back to Seneca! 2 weeks till derby time!

She's dong great Zebedee, thanks! Did not get out for the LOC this year, planning on the fall. Where are you fishing the Memorial day Tourney from? we will be staying at Sampson from Thurs. on, probablly fishin the North End or Dresden. Do you monitor any certain channel on the radio?

Hi guys,

Kind of a Seneca newbie here. Actually, haven't fished it since late 80's. I'm finding things have changed a lot with the zebra mussels. Been trolling for trout using everything I can think of, but with no luck. I am in the Starkey area. Not even marking much.. Any pointers you could give me?? Lakers, salmon, bows, anything!! help!!

Thanks,

Ed

I was going to be fishing out of the 14 footer w/ the tiller but after a couple runs the old man got a little sore so I talked him into putting some fishing equipment on his Wellcraft Martinique...He has 2 gimbal style flush-mount holders that will hold the Mag 10's but he won't let me put any more holes in his boat. I loaded the mag 10's with 4 pole holders so we'll be the boat with 2 porcupines sticking out the sides! This weekend we need to figure out how to mount my planer reels to his bow rails and wire up the Speed-n Temp unit. We'll monitor 68...His boat name is "About time" Although the back still has the former owner's name "Robin's Pride"