candel stick weight

Ok I'm just going to say it I will still do one rig off the back of the boat on a jug just because it works and we always went slow with rigs 1.5to2.0 laker bait but some of the nicest bow I've gotten was on a rig in summer so with 5 leader u no where one leader is going and u need big led I could be wrong but I will go with what works but on the other hand the biggest laker I've got was two years ago on lead core of a bord on Cayuga it was 12.5 the pic on my profile

Sorry had to pull some of that to much information for a post

Edited by darkwater1

As far as the weight issue of sinkers with rigs goes a lot depends on what you are running for rigs (e.g. wire vs. braid for main lines), what you are running on them (size and number of spoons or whether running cowbells at bottom etc.) and how you actually run them and at what speeds. The time of the season can also be a factor (when fish are up high for example or bottom oriented down deep) The amount of current present may also dictate how much weight you use..  It isn't simply just the amount of weight you get used to per se.  You want to use enough weight to get you exactly where you wish to be in the water column (which is the main purpose of a Seth Green rig) and this position varies greatly according to the time of the season. I have sinkers of various weights in the boat from 8 ounces to 36 or so and I often combine these weights according to specific conditions or even changing conditions.  There are times like during the summer months when the water temps are stratified that you want to use less weight so that your lures compress together a little tighter in a band within the water column for rainbows , landlocks or browns and at other times the use of additional weight is desirable when fishing deep or towards bottom for lakers. Jug rigs are another aspect....sometimes in high current you get a lot of additional drag through the water so you may wish additional weight to keeep things where you want them.  I usually range between 24 ounces for a light rig up high to 48 ounces or so for my heaviest usually with a 3 rig presentation but I have also run 64 oz before with 4 or more rigs. Trolling speed will also dictate the weight used as you need more to keep your stuff down at higher speeds especially with large spoons (e.g. 88's Evil Eyes etc.).

P.S. It should probably be against the law for Hop to use those big sinkers because he is already too dangerous during derbies :lol:

Edited by Sk8man

Les, I agree with you, and i've also used different weights to change my spread, similar to what you described but I found that when using Higher speed trolling lures on rigs they tend to put a lot more drag on the rig. Not un common to see the rod "bounce" from the action of the lures. Also, When you begin to use planer boards  and a Jug to haul rigs, its important to keep the rigs down and therefore out of "harms way". Too many times i've tied up rigs in a turn and thats the main reason for the weight. Especially when they have more than one fish on them , as they tend to do on a planerboard or jug. (because of the time between checks)The additional weight puts things closer and tighter and allows you to be more confident in turning, knowing things will stay in their respected "Zone"  We had a very lengthy discussion at the shop yesterday on this topic with a fella who purchased some lures yesterday. He saw our box of weights and started to ask questions about the size, which led to a discussion on how we came to using such heavy weights. Tangles were the biggest reason for it. When you begin to run 4 or more 5 leader rigs, weight becomes very important, especially when in traffic.  Just my thoughts on weights. I prefer them heavy. I change leader distance now to tighten up my spread. 

I fully agree Jason and I edited my above post to make it clearer that I was referring to my usual 3 rig presentation  (2 down side rigs and a jug) when I go to 4 or more rigs I use the heavier weight as well for exactly the reasons you described.

I run 40 oz on rigs right off the boat and 36oz on rigs off planners.. Has worked great for me .. I like them down and out of the way so I can clear long coppers and long cores especially if you get one of those bigger fish that like to dig down or a brown that will attempt and sometimes succeed at passing the boat on the outside. . IT HAPPENS TRUST ME LOL

Mike

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I'd love to see that! I prefer rigs, and it is almost an art to it. Here is something else to consider with rigs. Instead of sending them down, hook them to a planer and surface fish them. Put the weight on the weight on last once the rig is attached to the snap swivel on the rod. We refer to it as a "wing" rig.

I not following that put the weight on last?

Yes, I dont use beadchain and removable leaders. I tie my rigs and keep them wrapped on a holder. So my rig rod has a big snap to hook to the rig. So therefore, once I hook my sinker snap to a bunji off the back of the planer and let out all my rig, then I hook the rig to the rod and then the weight. Let that down 25 -40 feet and you have a 5 spoon spread fishing the surface area. Works awesome! 

darkater1 -  I've been with him when he deployed his rigs and after running rigs for most of my life I still would be perplexed doing it .....but t works! I'm still "old school" and much to the dismay of my buddy Arm Byrd I'm sticking with my tried and true methods :lol:

Edited by Sk8man

I don't really think there is a right or wrong way if they are catching fish. The great thing about rig fishing is it's easily adaptable to a range of uses and techniques. It's not something Charters will want to do, clients won't want to pull rigs, and it's to complicated to teach someone who's never done it. Personally, I like statistics, and running rigs allows me to maximize my spoon count, catch rate and allows me to have more accurate detail about the fishing.

With regard's to weight. I weighed our's today just to make sure I was right, because it's been a while. We run 48 oz on boards and jug, 56 oz on the boat rigs. That's 3 lbs and 3.5 lbs.  

I think Les and I need a fishing Fix soon! All this work and no play has me going nuts! 

:) For those folks new to or considering Seth Green (rig) fishing the best way to get a handle on it is to actually see a rig already set up and ask questions about it.  A real good place to do this is at Fishy Business and the phone number and address are in my above post.  Fishy is a real old school rig guy with a whole lot of experience and he is always eager to explain or discuss rig fishing with folks.  Other than actually going out with someone and fishing rigs it is a very good way to get a quick handle on the basics and then put your own twist to it.

Edited by Sk8man