The huge year class of two year olds is due to the huge natural reproduction class found on the Salmon River in 2016. Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app
The trawls from this spring are skewed due to weather and the fact that the trawling vessel was out for motor repairs during the key time to find alewife still in the bottom. Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United
Natural production is too unpredictable and unstable. If the lake fishery diminishes, businesses will close and people will not come. People do not come to Lake Ontario for Atlantic’s and Lake Trout. Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app
And if they are wrong, the population will explode and they will up Atlantic and Lake trout stocking not kings. I said it before the last cut that we will never see king stocking numbers go back up if the bait rebounds and I will say it again. Atlantics and Lake Trout are federal fish and do not cost the state the money Kings, Coho, brown and rainbows do.
Which in turn will destroy the fishery...... They cant get the lake trout stocking on target most years with out some kind of hatchery mishap. Very few people will come here for lake trout. I will not continue to troll trout and salmon if the Kings are gone. I do enjoy fishing lakers and browns but it will not be worth the cost to fish without kings.
If they are worried about the bait population taking a hit from the huge number of three year olds we will have next year, why not bump the king creel limit up? If these cuts go through, It might be time to start selling my stuff and buying that cottage in the 1000 islands.......
With the cuts they put in place a couple years ago, the DEC pen project blunders in 2017, cormorants, and the die offs in the pen project pens this spring, we should be fine. I saw big alewife in kings all summer not many medium or small ones. The browns we kept were full of gobies, smelt and medium to large alewife. I did not catch many steelhead this year but the ones I did filet had medium to large alewife in them.
You can blame the DEC also. Why a 5 bass limit? Lake Ontario on the South shore used to be littered with smallmouth. Now it is a drop in the bucket of what it was 15 years ago. We still have a 5 bass limit on the lake. When I asked at the state of the lake meeting about this a couple years ago they said the limit stayed at five fish for bass tournaments....... Pathetic!
Like new condition!!
1- Daiwa Heartland 7’6” plainer rods - brown . - $20.00 each
1- black Daiwa Heartland 8'0" plainer board rods - black - $20.00
If both are purchased, I will ship them to your door for -$55.00
Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app