Jump to content

GAMBLER

Professional
  • Posts

    9,909
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by GAMBLER

  1. Clean cleaning the air cleaner around the carb, or the air seperator
  2. I fish lakers more than most and own a business selling lake trout lures. If anyone should be against it, it should be me. I see the writing on the wall. If we don't have kings, we will not have much of a sport fishery on Lake Ontario and I can kiss my business goodbye! I also see that the adult lake trout population is a big part (bigger than the DEC admits) of the issue that could be in our future if the alewives numbers are what the data says they are. Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United
  3. If the data is true, I'm all for cuts too. My only issue is the growing lake trout population. Lakers out number kings by numbers for sure. There are 4 year classes of salmon max. Lakers, there could be WAY more. They say cutting laker stocks will not do anything for four years but the laker biomass we have will put a hurting on the population. We need to raise the creel limit and fish them. The cuts also need to be put on the lakers.
  4. The stats from the hatchery a season or two ago stated 2 year olds were the highest percentage returning to the hatchery followed by the three year olds then the 4's. The 4 year olds that returned were only a couple % of the returns. I will look it up.
  5. Where?
  6. Genetics play a huge role in fish size. Most kings are spawning at 3 and 4 years old not 3 - 4 years old like they used to. If they are taking eggs from 2 and 3 year olds and very few 4 year olds, is that affecting the fish size?
  7. May / June would be better because more boats are on the water. I would be willing to sponsor a derby like this! We could call it Alewives Lives Matter Derby!
  8. The adult laker population has been climbing for the past couple years even with stocking short falls recently. This should be enough reason to support a laker cut along with the king cut they are proposing. If they want to be proactive about the future of the fishery, the long living lake trout population needs to be cut. If a stocking cut does not happen for lakers, the creel limit needs to be increased to knock the population down to save alewives.
  9. Lakers are stocked. Muskies are a self sustaining population. Big difference.
  10. I had 82 degrees for a surface temp yesterday on 2 different fish finders and my fishhawk. I am another vote for the clouds.
  11. Over priced docks for a channel that will still fill in after the break wall is complete. The wall across the front is not enough. We need piers like the Oak to keep the channel from filling in. One NE wind and it is going to take the sand that surrounds the front of Braddocks and dump it right in the channel.
  12. It has not affected king natural reproduction yet since the fish hatched this summer are swimming around the lake.
  13. I too believe we will never see an increase again. The feds foot the bill for lakers.
  14. The laker stocking should be cut by a higher percentage. That percentage needs to be higher since they added 300,000 to the mix a couple years ago (500,000 up to 800,000. They would not stock more kings because of the bait numbers but they felt it was OK to stock more lakers.
  15. Running a stacked rod above a cowbells set up is a waste of time! The cowbells will be going fast enough that you will spend more time rigging than fishing.
  16. I hope they are planning ahead. Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United
  17. Was the current still ripping?
  18. Kings are an introduced species NOT an evasive species. Big difference.
  19. If we are going to depend on more natural reproduction, maybe it is time to close down some sections of the river that produce high amounts of natural reproduction. I know the trib guys will go off the deep end over this comment but we need to protect the naturals if we are going to depend on them more. It is in everyones best interest.
  20. The other thing I forgot to add is bring them up slowly. When they come up slower, they are easier to burp. Using cowbells will give some resistance and help bring them up slower.
  21. My point is, they could use our observations to help put the puzzle pieces together. They do deer hunting.....
  22. Burp them and then drop them head first into the water. When you drop them, the water pushes in and pushes the remaining air out. We get very few floaters this way.
  23. If they go ahead with cuts, we need a contract stating they will increase with KINGS not lakers if the bait levels increase. I'm worried they will cut kings and not stock more if and when the bait rebounds. They could take the cheaper route and let the Feds dump lakers in.
  24. I think it is funny that they use hunters observations to help with scientific data but when it comes to the lake fishery, our observations are not worthy!
×
×
  • Create New...