Jump to content

GAMBLER

Professional
  • Posts

    9,908
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by GAMBLER

  1. Quiet here in 8G so far. Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app
  2. It will all come down to which recreational activity will bring more money to the states bank account. Seeing that license sales doubled this year, I think the snowmobile clubs will be taking a back seat. Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app
  3. Just don’t go over 120 grains of black horn in the CVA Accura. 120 or 125 is the max for the powder in that gun. Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app
  4. Yes sir. I got mine cheap online. If you don’t get the correct breech plug, you will get hang fires. Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app
  5. I have the Accura V2 and I shoot 95 grains of Black horn 209, CCI magnum primers, Hornady FTX 45 grain bullets and MMP sabots. I have shot 12 deer in 4 years with this combo and they all dropped immediately except one that went 30 yds. Deadly accurate combo too. 200-250 yds is doable. Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app
  6. Sold Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app
  7. Fun night in the stand! Deer non stop all evening. I missed an opportunity on a big doe. I was watching another deer and she was standing in the wide open when I noticed her. Oh well! Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app
  8. First sit of the season for me . First bow hunt in 19 years! Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app
  9. I believe if the buck to doe ratio is off and you have too many doe, you make bucks life easier during the rut. If there are too many doe, bucks have to do less work to find one ready for some fun lovin’! The less land they have to cover to find a mate, the less chance you have to get an opportunity! Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app
  10. Glow and silver 1/2” tape eyes by WTP. I have 3 - 30 count packs of glow $2.00 each I have 19 - 60 count packs of silver eyes $2.00 each. $5.00 shipping to the lower 48. Buy all of them for $40.00 shipped to your door! Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app
  11. That kid is an animal! Tell him Congrats Bill!
  12. Awesome! Congrats to you both Eli!
  13. Just as many laughs from some old timers on Sandy that were laughing at your 50-70 trips per season response here the other day when I was working on the boat. 🤣 Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app
  14. Sandy gets guys but not big numbers. I drive by all the time. A couple cars at each bridge. I used to spend a lot of time trib fishing (mostly on Sandy, the Genny and the Oak) with Jason Franz up until a couple years ago. Limited access and nothing in Hamlin to spend money on in the town. Where are they staying on Hamlin Dave? Last time I checked, there were no hotels in Hamlin..... A few years back, the brown run was dismal on Sandy during the fall run and the creek was a ghost town. The Genny has the best catch rate because all the fish are stuffed in a short section of river before the falls. It gets some guys but the limited water and crime keeps most people away. After the salmon run, the Genny has WAY less activity. The DEC does not release data on revenue for both. If they did, you would see lake guys spend more money, and bring more money to the fishing businesses lake wide not just the major tribs. 23 rivers on the South shore that get stocked? Black, Salmon, Oswego, Genesee, and the Niagara are the only "Rivers" I can think of. Just because the trib gets stocking does not mean its a tourist destination. Look at the number of Charter boats in the major ports on Lake O. Charters running trips almost everyday (some guys like Vince running doubles) of the season with 4-6 clients on the boat. Sit at 4C's marina on a Saturday in the summer and watch the charter parade return to port. Tons of people. I think you are basing your lake knowledge on your failed charter career. If you were successful, you would know how many guys are on the lake all summer.
  15. Closing the Salmon River down until egg take is complete is preserving the future of the fishery for EVERY salmon fishermen trib, pier or lake. If it was a normal fall with decent water, it wouldn't be an issue. Without the salmon run, the Salmon River businesses will be gone. A couple week shutdown will hurt but it would be worse to not have the king fishery in the future at all. Like I said before, look at the Lake Huron situation. Once booming fishing towns are now ghost towns. I have directly talked with guys that have lived it on Huron. The low water levels is already going to effect natural reproduction. Also stocking cuts will effect natural reproduction (the less kings running the river, the less spawning that will occur, and the less fish will be naturally reproduced).
  16. Drop shot along drop offs and you will find smallmouth. Cast spoons along weed edges for northerns and tiger musky. Walleye can be tricky but I have caught some at this time of the year off my buddies dock at night with stickbaits.
  17. Other than the Salmon River, Oak and the Niagara (mostly charter drift trips not as many shore anglers), what tribs draw lots of tourism? Sandy has some but Hamlin doesn't gain anything from it. Outside of salmon season the numbers dwindle in huge amounts other than the Salmon River. Very cold, snowy spells, even the Salmon River becomes a ghost town. The 7 month charter season and 8 month rec season on the lake (some years longer depending on the spring) is EVERY port on the South shore.
  18. Lets compare angler hours to revenue. I would bet the farm, the lake makes more $ than the tribs for the state and local economies. If you add up all the money spent on charters, licenses, lodging, tackle, electronics, slips fees, repairs, up keep, boat purchases, gas, lodging, launch fees, ect. The average trib angler has a couple rods, waders and a box of lures.
  19. I agree Mike but it has been years. The only time I have even see them on Sandy was two years ago when I took my kid down to feed the fish in the pens at 6pm on a Tuesday when the lake had 4-6's on it.
  20. The lake creel survey is also a joke. I have not been stopped by the creel guys in years. The hours are very low compared to what they actually are. The trib data is skewed by snaggers. I don't think you can classify illegal activity as angler hours since they are not "anglers",
  21. The fishery can't survive on lake trout. IF you think so, talk to guys from Lake Huron. I have a couple customers that buy lake trout gear from there and it used to be a booming fishery and now its a ghost town.
  22. We are all screwed if the DEC does not get eggs and the kings get ripped out with the low water. We will have less stocking, less natural reproduction and EVERYONE will suffer as a result. Who knows how much natural reproduction is going to effected with the super low water. If kings cant get into the most fertile waters to spawn, natural reproduction will suffer that way too. Protecting your investment when it is super vulnerable is a smart way of doing business. Shutting down the river until the egg take is complete is a better option than letting it go and suffering for years to come. With high natural reproduction from the Salmon River, this could have huge impacts on the future of the entire lake fishery (NY and Canadian waters). I don't see it as a ME, ME, ME attitude, I see it as a concern for the fishery.
  23. Isn't the board supposed to be stakeholders? By stakeholders shouldn't it mean guides, captains and business owners directly effected by the changes and issues brought to the board? If not, and two guys are on the board that the issues do not directly effect financially (ie. a business), that is wrong and should be changed.
  24. The North end ramp is closed. if you need a launch, you will have to go somewhere else.
  25. Fantail steelhead. Super rare!
×
×
  • Create New...