Jump to content

Sk8man

Professional
  • Posts

    13,929
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Sk8man

  1. Admittedly I've only used it a few times with blues etc. in saltwater with no problems and I don't do whole lot of pike fishing lately but I haven't had any problems with it. It could be a possibility as titanium is very hard and also very brittle but I guarantee nothing is going bite through it.. It is a material used primarily in applications where high heat is involved (aircraft engines, bearing races for submarine engines and that sort of thing where high tensile strength and light weight is necessary) but your point about bending affecting it is a possibility I guess.
  2. I don't fish for those big bad guys but do any of you use titanium wire or nickel/titanium? Strong as heck, doesn't corrode, doesn't rust, thinner diameter for the pound test than steel, harder to bite through etc.Just wondering....haven't heard anyone mention it. I've used it in salt water with good results and for pike.
  3. Yes Frogger I have a hunch I know the spot
  4. I think Jim is right Mike. Very often when the slime layer is removed from a fishes skin a fungus attacks the area.. Pike and pickerel often regard the perch as bait. I once saw a pike with a huge perch in its mouth with the perch dorsal extended andthe pike couldn't swallow it and was frantically roaming around the surface with his head out of the water in about 9 ft of water trying to either swallow it or get rid of the perch....pretty funny sight. My son and I got a good laugh of of it.
  5. A couple things come to mind right off the bat: 1. Do you intend to use these reels for dipseys? 2. Will the reels actually hold 1,000 ft of 19 strand wire? If so regarding both- I would suggest using 1,000 ft of the wire on the two setups as 500 ft of wire will not do the job for the most part as you may have out close to that much in the summer time just getting the dipsey where it needs ro be. Most guys do not use substantial if any backing with the wire because with wire unlike copper or leadcore you do not normally run all the wire out and then use the backing so you want enough wiret to do the job. If you went with 500 ft of wire you could get spooled by a good king and with 1,000ft. you shouldn't have to worry about backing etc.
  6. Check into Progressive boat insurance. They seem to be very good and more economical than say Travelers. I had a claim and they sent a guy out took a pic and couple days later had the check.
  7. The knot I like best is the original clinch knot cinched down tight while wet. I have never had one break with fluoro. It seems to me that some of the knots that rely on the knot strand going over itself may actually cut itself off when a lot of stress is on the knot because of the brittleness of the fluoro.
  8. Hope it isn't filmed in NYS because it is illegal to use salamanders as bait
  9. Great event today, with lots of good bargains and fair prices on most stuff from what I saw. It was the first time my son has accompanied me so it was special in that regard as well. We both found a lot of items of interest although I did regret buying the 4 40 oz Seth Green weights so early and then carryng them around for hours but they were hard to pass up......kinda like lifting weights all day It was really a lot of fun and I was glad to finally meet in person many LOU members and be able to chat first hand. We truly do have a great bunch of people on this website and we were well represented there. It was also gratifying to see the many vendors there and especially my buddies at Great Lakes Lures, Iron Duke Flies, Fishy Business and the other LOU folks selling there. I do think if this thing gets any bigger more space will be needed as there were a lot of folks there but I also noted that the line outside moved very quickly this year. To those of you that didn't happen to catch itor weren't able to you missed a heck of a show. Heres pics from right before we left when things had thinned out enough to even get a pic...
  10. I don't think you'll find a better bracket than that one either and it is a real good price. A number of my buddies have had them over the years and I think they are the best bracket out there for normal purposes.
  11. Bad habit you have a PM
  12. I've always had the hunch that both copper and leadcore do things in the water that gets attention of the fish.I think the whipping action of the leadcore both horizontally and vertically attracts them to the vibrations or commotion and I suspect that the copper may vibrate and possible interact electrically as well and some fish have great sensitivity of their lateral line to pick up on it as well as vibrations.
  13. Nice going Billy
  14. You had some really stellar weights there and if I didn't have mine already I would have jumped at them for sure....they are in a class by themselves
  15. Yes Ted there have been guys out the past two days from the launch at the north end Hopefully the water will clear up right about then and it will be "game on"
  16. Sk8man

    Small snap?

    I know these are very small even the extra large size for the species you are after but they are 40 lb test and if they will fit the eylets or rings you are using they can save time for the bass. You may wish to use a small Spro swivel a few feet above it . http://www.basspro.com/Fas-Snap-No-Knot-Fas-Snap/product/2463/?hvarAID=shopping_connexity
  17. Yes several boats out in the rain. I talked with a couple guys at the launch and they said not much happening and I did't see anything in their buckets in the boat
  18. I think it might have been my own the last time we went out
  19. Yeah Bob "Go big or go home" and....."size matters"
  20. THe problem with gobies (one of them anyway) is that they are thought to concentrate toxins and also may be a source of botulism. So if fish are consuming large amounts of them over timeyou have to wonder what that means about eating the fish.
  21. The reason I said sculpins is that I don't see the big wide fin down the middle of their stomach...although it is hard to tell from the pic.http://www.feenstraguideservice.com/sculpinvgoby.html
  22. I have also run them as rolmops described but in salt water not for lakers that way. What I found was that because I was initially running them way down deep that the lakers were grabbing plastic (no hooks) much of the time as they probably aren't able to see them down there like when they are more suspended in salt water. I started putting all hooked baits and it stopped happening but they also were caught on other than the center trailer bait then. I sholud also add that when I used peanuts behind them I only caught the smaller lakers....may have been coincidental but it happened.
  23. I've fished along side this rig out there and it is a great fishing machine with a lot of comfort and room as well. Ted takes real good care of his stuff so somebody will be a really "happy camper" with this one
  24. I think they may be Sculpins (Stonecats) rather than gobies
  25. I decided to delete my comment.
×
×
  • Create New...