Jump to content

Sk8man

Professional
  • Posts

    13,929
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Sk8man

  1. Just has to hook the right species now Nick I'll have to figure out a species specific homing device for the head next time
  2. How about a pic Ed?
  3. It might be crazy looking Nick but it has worked up there and on the Fingers Just wait until you see the eyeball sinkl in from the pressure down deep
  4. Just make sure you keep the LED's and black lights away from your eyes as they can cause irreversible damage if shined directly into the eyes (UV)
  5. Here is an article and although not real "scientific" it is an interesting piece that may answer some of your questions https://www.deneki.com/2014/01/monofilament-or-fluorocarbon/
  6. If you are considering running dipseys in those Fish On rod holders put safety lines on them. You'll see why quite soon. I'd look for some metal Down East holders instead. I would imagine someone one here has some they would consider parting with. They would be a much better inexpensive solution I think. The plastic ones bend and pop open and just don't have the necessary strength.
  7. x2 on Walter Hang I've talked at length with him at Ithaca College after one of his presentations and he is one of the most knowledgeable people I've met concerning these environmental issues.
  8. Looks as though your crew has the right idea. Have enough of those and you don't care whether you get into them or not
  9. Rick - Unfortunately the sticker is gone but it is a real big net (36 x37) and the handle extends out to about 10 ft.
  10. Geez Bob you're turning into a sensitive male of the new Millenium
  11. I guess although we may have all fantasized about it...but Pacific salmon would be a very poor fit for the Fingers and you have hit on probably one of the most important factors.....suitability of stream and spawning habitat. Many of the streams in the Fingers are only available in the early Spring during "normal" years and the rainbows mainly depend on the the larger ones then (e.g. Catherines, Keuka Outlet etc.) The nature of the "beast" is also a consideration though as Pacifric salmon are programmed wiring wise as ocean going and free ranging fish requiring large areas to roam that feed largely on suspended bait and they do not have the varied diet that many of the trout have or Atlantics for that matter. I've found for example plenty of bugs of various types in the stomach contents of trout and Atlantics but never in a Chinook. My hunch is that if thousands of them were dumped in the Fingers they would eat the place out of house and home in terms of the alewife base and if there were any smelt left as well leaving the remaining species with little for which to forage. The primary problem is that they would in all probability severely upset the balance of the existing ecosystem that is currently stressed by invasives and a lot of other factors leading to a large deterioration in the overall fishing quality of these lakes.
  12. Wes makes some good points here. The line diameter can be especially important for browns in clear water conditions. Stay away from the Vanish and Vicious brands of fluoro The Vanish especially has low to no knot strength.
  13. x3 on the Ranger. last time out on Lake O I brought mine along as my fishing buddy normally has a net on his boat that would be better suited for scooping bait from a tank and we were glad we did as we needed the extension on the handle and size of opening to reach a 25 lb thrashing king. They are a good durable net.
  14. That is good news Paul WTG
  15. You're very welcome Nick and Theresa and I hope they bring you some luck with those stubborn kings. We were greet ed by Buster at your boat and his female owner who was keeping a good eye on things I might add. Glad you had a great time today too and here is what you missed on the lake
  16. It is something to try when you are getting "short" hit where they aren't getting hold of the fly.I have made my flies heavier to slow them horizontally once I saw some underwater videos of salmon trying to "catch" the flailing flies that were whipping sideways. My hunch is that they aren't as adept at catching them when they are going real fast while sideways or going around in circles too fast despite being "fast fish" speed-wise. They seem to grab them better on the videos when coming from straight behind or up or down
  17. Congratulations on a sweet boat.
  18. Here is why folks aren't out there right now (Sodus Point pier at 4 PM today)
  19. To anyone out here considering trolling Canandaigua for the first time or not being familiar with the lake I would strongly suggest going out with Paul Nagel http://www.canandaiguafishing.com/ the first time. He is a very experienced and knowledgeable guide and a multi species guy who can greatly shorten the learning curve for you. He has also been very generous with information and tips here on LOU despite making part of his income from guiding and that is something in my view that is very commendable. It is easy to waste a lot of time out there if you don't know the lake and its peculiarities and seeing how he does it first hand will be well worth your time and money.
  20. And Andy knows how to get them too
  21. Really sorry to hear it Jason. I sure hope you catch up with the person responsible one way or another.
×
×
  • Create New...