-
Posts
13,929 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Events
Gallery
Store
Everything posted by Sk8man
-
Warning: FLTA Canandaigua Tourney 10-2-2016
Sk8man replied to Sk8man's topic in Finger Lakes Discussion
It sounds like he was able to launch OK in either case and that was what I was concerned about and wanted those guys to be aware of. Unfortunately I don't do Facebook so I guess i won't be able to see his handiwork this time -
Warning: FLTA Canandaigua Tourney 10-2-2016
Sk8man replied to Sk8man's topic in Finger Lakes Discussion
tt -
I think if you combine Gator and Tile Man's comments you have an accurate assessment of the situation and unfortunately we humans often have the tendency to look at issues and problems in terms of a "single cause" approach as though one particular thing has "caused" something when in fact the problem itself is highly complex and interrelated and thus poorly understood from the start. We also have a tendency to look for "silver bullet" cures to problems.The Lake Ontario ecosystem is a good case in point. As we go along in time I become more more confident that nobody has a handle on the sum total of complex interactions going on here and it may take that to solve the problem effectively (if it in fact can be solved). There are many vested and perhaps conflicting interests involved as well and this adds to the difficulty in sorting things out. Some of the difficulty in getting a handle on the research data relates to the fact that we are dealing with a natural rather than laboratory experimental setting where effective "controls" are either not feasible or are not possible for a variety of reasons including expense and the necessary components for statistical analysis of the data are difficult to achieve or lacking (e.g. random sampling and normal distribution of the population data). This makes it nearly impossible to make any firm conclusions based on the "science" of the situation.
-
I just thought I'd better give the FLTA members a"heads up" on the Woodville launch status. My son and I were there today checking things out and doing some perch fishing. It is my habit when at launches and especially when still dark to physically go out on the dock and look in the water to gauge depth, look for things that might screw up my boat etc. Well good thing I did because the idiot power loaders have been at it. They have piled up a large pile of rocks right at about the hallf way to two thirds point of the ramp and just beneath the surface. In the dark you might not notice it until too late. My boat drafts very little water (about 6 inches) so I was able to launch by just shoving off manually from the dock with my motor (outboard) all the way up out of the water until I got out a ways. then still shallow water drive as it is very shallow with mud that churns up and very thick weed growth some right up near the surface. I know it may not be real popular or convenient but for any of the larger boats and especially those not outboards I would suggest using the north end launch despite it being very shallow in the channel as well but boats have been using it (probably trimming their motors up on the way out and in). I 'd be staying in the center of the canal and maybe a little to the left as you are passing the swimming pool area going out and to the righ coming in (and that with the deck chairs out near the water) as it tends to be a bit deeper. It is probably only about 2 1/2 to 3 ft in the channel right now if that. Sorry to be the bearer of sad tidings but better to be aware than paying 2 or 3 hundred for a prop repair or worse .best of luck to all fishing the tourney. Surface temp today 66 degrees. Didn't have my other temp stuff with me. Massive amounts of bait on both sides at the south end in 29 to 40 ft of water (one 30 ft high and for a couple hundred yards. It was so thick that my perch rigs were tick ticking through it.
-
Might want to give Jason Dekouski a call at Finger Lakes Boat Repair 3443 East Lake Road Canandaigua, N.Y. (585)733-8337
-
That brings up something I have always thought about ....what about some of the smaller tribs that have some water through out the year (most don't but there are a few in normal years anyway) is there significant spawning of them in them? I remember even a long time ago when I used to get smelt in Kashong and Wilson Creeks a few would be mixed in with the smelt and also a little later when the suckers spawned there.
-
The risers are probably a part of it because I had the Cannon pedestals on my previous boat and different downriggers and the bouncing effect was noticeable in that situation as well. The higher up they are the more this is accentuated because it changes the center of gravity regarding the weight and increases torque at the base.
-
I think sometimes we may take a lot of things for granted (e.g. the DEC) and don't fully appreciate the time and effort that goes into making this fishery what it is and still can be. I also regret not being at the meeting the other night but I am also grateful to the guys that went (e.g. Rick, Jerry. and others) and for sharing your impressions with others on here and Vince for sharing his opinions which offer cogent alternative ways of thinking about these complex issues . I sincerely hope this all turns out right and that the lake gets back to a good balance. A good part of this will really reside with Mother Nature in the final analysis and hopefully she will cut us a break
-
Nice going Ted . Sounds encouraging at least to know there are some trout out there. This is the tough part of the season for me as I'm torn between the perch and trout fishing....guess it isn't such a bad problem to have though
-
One of the things I've been thinking about is that we had a record number of days in the 90's this year temperature and the amount of penetrating sunlight available had to be at record levels as well and with low water levels I wonder what this might mean as weed growth is very dependent on available sunlight as well as higher water temps and algae as well I should think.
-
I think Mr. 580 has it right. In any case you want to have the bases themselves stabilized to the maximum degree possible to reduce torque and "flexing" on the gunwales and and usually a stiff backing plate would go a long way in doing this. Another thing to keep in mind (which most folks don't think about) is setting the "drag" on the downrigger so that if you hang up on bottom your downrigger isn't ripped out along with some of the gunwale. I saw this actually happen to someone during a derby on Seneca years ago (downrigger recovered by a hired diver) and it severely damaged the boat (huge chunk of fiberglass ripped out).
-
I honestly think Vince is correct in his assessment of the situation. Scott- the computer/meeting approach has been done successfully by business for awhile now but unfortunately after nearly 34 years of working for the state I can tell you that they are not the most computer savvy folks even in terms of their main systems and the DEC has not even been able to put the fishing diary cooperator logs online let alone something more complicated . Most of the state computer system is very antiquated and for many reasons.
-
Canandaigua Water level for Launching 20+ft boat at •Canandaigua and Seneca Lakes state launches
Sk8man replied to EDAY's topic in Finger Lakes Discussion
Good luck this weekend folks. I strongly suspect next year you'll keep lakers in the mix though here. It hasn't been easy fishing out here this season for most. Let's hope the weather cooperates but we sure as heck need some rain around here. -
-
The apparent poor turnout is regrettable but sometimes it is a good idea not to throw stones until you actually know the "position or nature" of the"target". The ability to post something regarding the issue on here while engaged in other pressing issues or business or unplanned events (like vehicle problems) is very different than arranging to travel distances in the evening (e.g. older people driving in the dark with f'd up eyesight at night etc.). I'm sure there are many reasons that transcend the stocking issue in people's lives which does in no way diminish the issues involved or the desire to see things turn out right.
-
I'm with Vince
-
Revolution Trolling Spoons 2017 Patterns available now!
Sk8man replied to skeletonfish's topic in Tackle and Techniques
-
Canandaigua Water level for Launching 20+ft boat at •Canandaigua and Seneca Lakes state launches
Sk8man replied to EDAY's topic in Finger Lakes Discussion
I launched at the south end of Canandaigua Saturday with my boat and outboard which is pretty much the equivalent of a 20 footer without problems. I was at the north end ramp last weekend and although I didn't go there to fish or launch the boat I spoke with the girl that was examining the boats for invasives and she said about 60 boats had been in and out again from the channel but I would recommend going out on shallow water drive or with your lower unit up aways. The lake is lower than I have ever seen it right now and there is an advisory in effect as far as using caution navigating near shore. -
Food for thought John but I think the way they were positioned and the density of them that they were alewives. I know folks (including me) were thinking that the smelt were basically extinct here but two years ago I was catching them while ice fishing at the south end. I don't believe these were smelt though as they usually appear near bottom (very close to it and down deep). In some ways it would be nice if perch fry but then again I also hope for alewives .
-
I'm pretty sure in the past they have treated both places (i.e. Catherines and the outlet).
-
-
Good going Brian. Glad to see you are back in action bud.
-
It is probably no accident that you spotted them near the Keuka Outlet as that is a major spawning area in addition to Catherines and they nail the browns something fierce there too. In the past I have had them actually attach to the transom of my little Whaler in the late Fall and winter. They were probably grabbing the first large object they saw for the least energy expenditure. I hope that the large size means the young ones are on the decline from the previous treatments Nick .
-
As far as kickers go I recently bought a long shaft 9.8 4 stroke to replace my 1987 9.9 2 stroke long shaft. I was able to steer my boat with the 2 stroke long shaft without a steering connector although I had the EZ steer set up on it originally. I found that I could steer the boat in most conditions with the big motor (135 outboard) without it. The exception was in real windy conditions (e.g. white cap stuff) which I had to use the big motor most of the time. The new 4 stroke is able to run it into even stiff wind without having to crank up the big one. It seems to have more torque at the prop I believe as everything else is virtually the same (e.g. 20 inch shaft, similar 3 blade prop, 91 lbs vs. 87 on the 2 stroke). I don't think it pushes the boat as fast top end though but that is important only in an emergency situation and the gas economy is more important there with a separate 3 gal. tank. It works sweet.




