Jump to content

Sk8man

Professional
  • Posts

    13,929
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Sk8man

  1. I didn't actually see them but I assume so as they are in a number of non-transparent boxes behind the counter on a shelf and the lady got the 44's I asked for out of them. I'd give a call and ask (585) 374-2628 before traveling there.
  2. Brian when I recently got my new 4 stroke 9.8 I was going to hook up to my main tank for convenience as well but then I happened to think about one of the reasons Ihave the kicker as added insurance in case my big motor fails. I then decided to keep the new kicker on its own 3 gal separate tank in case either something goes wrong with the main fuel line or the main fuel gets corrupted in some way. Just something to think about and factor in. Most of my friends use just the main fuel line though.
  3. JJ Bat - Thanks for the info. I just returned from there with a few 44's and the plating looks real good as well as the polishing. I've gone there since the 60's (it opened in 1947) and it looks the same as it did then as well. The prices on the 44's were $5.50 and $5.75 depending on which and they have the different weight spoons as well as a bunch of other spoon sizes. I previously lost my silver/copper ones iin the past so I replaced a couple .
  4. Joe you have a PM
  5. Thanks Wally. I would have missed that one as I just checked the other day and the last one was from 2015
  6. Excellent info based on real experience and much appreciated Rick. As with any relatively new device it may take a while to fully explore the advantages in numerous situations and compare with your other "known" device results (e.g. Moor) or sort out minor bugs but it sounds pretty good so far.
  7. Good old Hop....that's the generous buddy I know
  8. Wow you are really dialed in. I know these trips are expensive but the memories from them are priceless.
  9. Geez Sean that is surely the trip of a lifetime for each of you
  10. :lol: Pap - Yeah Mike but I don't think it would be worth diving for the others...they were in exactly 500 ft of water
  11. Sk8man

    Pink rod

    I think Nick's rods were taped that way (and he's not even a "girly man")
  12. Nice going Sean and Sierra I guess it sure puts to rest anyone who might have doubted about last years shot being "lucky"
  13. It seems rather humorous to me after using nearly all of them in every weight and type all these years that people treat the 44's as if they are "magical" The 22, 31, and 38's work just as well....the secret to them seems to be the lightness of the spoon coupled with the real silver finish which shows up for greater distances under water than chrome or nickel etc. My favorite for rainbows is the tiny #8.
  14. (585) 374-2628
  15. I think the hatching rate is really excellent as I believe it ranges something like 40-60 percent in nature.
  16. Good points to consider about the TD and the use of the Offshore clips as well. My main use of the TD has been on the downrigger and on coppers so the 1 lb weight hasn't been necessary (or desirable). I use it more as a general device too. For example I run it down 100 ft on the downrigger and then review the data and I record it on a data sheet with a grease pencil the temp info for each 5 ft interval and determine where the thermocline is and then set my thermocline (Seth Green) rigs accordingly so I don't have to be "exact" as I straddle the temp range of the thermocline and above and below it. It does however give good starting information about the t-cline for downrigger lure placement. It is a somewhat "limited" device but it is much better than nothing and much less expensive than the other options and especially when considering probe replacement. Most of my friends have sacrificed probes on the Fishawk Xd models by the way despite the high quality of the unit itself . I beefed up the plastic attachment gizmo of the TD with an additional metal clip and have never had any problems or losses despite hundreds of hours of use over the years.
  17. Dick if is purely a matter of locating the dipsey depth/temp you can get a very good approximation by using the Fishawk TD which you can get for a little over $100 new. It can attach to your line ahead of the dipsey and after turning it on and then you let out the dipsey to say 250ft on your line counter and then retrieve it and it will display the temp and depth at the depth it was running within 5 ft intervals at that amount of line out and you aren't risking a $250 probe if it is just for that.
  18. I believe the probes are about $250 each if multiples are needed it might be cheaper buying the fish at Wegmans
  19. Dick- My hunch is that you'd be happy with either choice as they both seem to be quality products. I think it may be a matter of just how much you wish to "tune" your trolling program. The Fishawk will measure the general temp and speed environment and at the weight and allow you to set things accordingly while the multiple probe approach of the Smart Troll allows more "flexibility" in following the temps and depths of individual lines and lures basically at the lure level and you can monitor multiple setups individually in nearly real time. I have no idea how the probes of either choice compare in holding up over time though or the "robustness" of the internal components. P.S. If you decide on the X4D make sure it is the newer one (red screen not blue one which is the older model)
  20. Larry it might be cool to jot down some of the questions....sometimes those are the most humorous things going
  21. Thanks for taking the time to post the results Ted. Congrats to Jim and Keith
  22. Good going Dane and it is encouraging to see someone doing the right thing for a change
  23. Sorry to hear about the prop Jim. I was out today but I keep my prop just below the water all the way out and tried to atay dead center as I had that happen 4 years ago and it was $200 to get my stainless prop fixed That water is so nasty that it left a yellowish brown stain on my hull. The only thing that will clean it is the Oxalic Acid stuff....a pain for sure. That channel is very polluted.
  24. Great way to involve the kids Larry. My brother taught 5th grade Science for many years and he used to get the kids involved by raising ducks and chickens etc. from eggs and the experience was much more meaningful than just text book stuff or "lectures" and the level of excitement and involvement is different as well. Good luck with the project!
  25. Geez Mike I wonder if mine does it but because the boat is glass and is foam filled I don't feel it? Kind of a puzzle bud.
×
×
  • Create New...