Jump to content

Sk8man

Professional
  • Posts

    13,929
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Sk8man

  1. It might even be worth while to try trolling with a worm harness. I have caught both rainbows and browns on them in addition to walleyes in other lakes. They are usually considered a Spring and Summer tactics but you never know in a multi-species body of water what you might find.
  2. Just a thought.....Keuka is kinda like three lakes in one (three distinct branches going in different directions) with very different land forms and points surrounding it along each branch and in that regard it is very different than the other Finger Lakes. Along that line the lakers in the other lakes such as Seneca, Cayuga and Canandaigua do in fact travel great distances over the season and migrate back and forth mainly to the ends of the lakes in Spring (north end)and Fall (south end). Keuka may present a bit more of a challenge locating them along the way because of its unique configuration. Bait on these other lakes also seems to migrate and congregate seasonally toward the ends of the lakes in deep water near the ends.
  3. dawg - I wasn't in any way being critical of your post just adding to it and I guess I am pretty heavily influenced by my own experience I for one sure as hell don't want to repeat it Each of these products probably has its strengths and weaknesses depending on the individual situation and it is good to have all these selections to choose from too and I wasn't previously aware of the one you mentioned so thanks. Les The point about Spring trolling is a good one too. I have a separate Arctic Armor jacket (only) for that and mainly for warmth and breaking the wind because I wear a PFD over it so multiple floatation and the outer PFD is Coast Guard approved. I'm on my 12th season with my Arctic Armor jacket and bibs andstill going strong.
  4. The Dominus jackets are Coast Guard Approved as a Type III device but the bib pants aren't although they are advertised as able to float. The major reason I suggested a one piece suit over a 2 piece (which is what I currently have) no matter which option you get is that after going in the water I now know that cold water can and does get inside the 2 piece suits and believe me hypothermia can rapidly set in if you end up spending even a few minutes in the frigid water. As with many things there is a trade off here in terms of heat regulation and comfort and safety factors. If you don't end up going in the water the comfort factors may be very important to you but if you should happen to go in safety will immediately rise to your number one concern along with staying warm. Learning to properly layer your clothing is crucial to ice fishing because on the way out on the ice and dragging a sled and other equipment you will sweat if "over dressed" at that arrival point out there and you will start to be chilled due to the sweat evaporation so the trick is to perhaps carry some layers with you to add when you get to your spot if needed and/or dress with "wicking" undergarments especially. Yes this may be "clumsy" when wearing a one piece suit but safety should always be your main concern. Another factor here is whether you will be in a shelter with a heater as this also dictates to some degree how you dress. The most dangerous times will be while walking out to a spot, walking around while out there, drilling holes, and when returning to shore and this is when you want to be dressed safely above all else.
  5. Thanks ...the Bills win helped it out
  6. Watkins Glen area at the south end of Seneca Lake (southwestern NY)
  7. Troutman87 here on LOU may be able to help you out. He makes great torpedo type weights. 607 535 2390. Troutman 87 aka Harvey
  8. Nice going Zack
  9. On the plus side of things is that those 21 inchers probably represent a strong year class and in a couple years they will be very nice keepers
  10. A couple things. A suit may offer and advantage in case you go in and that is that the icy water may not travel up inside as easily and it is easier to "seal off". When I went in that cold water did get under my jacket with the two piece. I would also suggest going a size larger than usual if you plan to wear stuff underneath.
  11. Eels on a slip rig or sand worms will get them when the artificials don't. My best luck has always been with the live bait for big ones. Fish around riptides or swirls around eddys if you can find them.
  12. Dave- Sheila is about as "hard core" a sportsperson as it gets to be out today not to mention the ice fishing You're a lucky man...
  13. Thanks Floyd. Hope you had a great one as well
  14. I ran across this today and although the questions are easy at the start I got tripped up on a couple toward the end http://adventure.howstuffworks.com/outdoor-activities/hunting/traditional-methods/deer-elk-hunting-quiz.htm?mkcpgn=i600006729&utm_source=outbrain&utm_medium=paid&utm_campaign=Elk%26Deer%28desktop%29&utm_term=5423929&utm_content=Most+Will+Get+No.+14+Wrong%21+Hunters%2C+Test+Your&sg_uid=lxstV8hrT_29IK1ilQjWQA
  15. I think it may be worth it Mike. John is expert at his craft. I've had over $5,000 - $6,000 worth of canvas work done on my current boat by a major guy with what was touted as the best acrylic material at the time and I don't think it holds up nearly as well as that on my other boat. The only reason I didn't have John do that canvas it is that I used the canvas guy that does all the work for the place I bought the (new at the time) boat from and because of the timing (in time for a derby so it was more convenient). Next time I will have John do it for sure. I should add that he has been doing this stuff since the 70's including a stint in Florida and has done just about everything you can imagine in canvas work on all sizes of boats both charter and personal.
  16. Congratulations Gene on a fine buck. Sean and Keith those are VERY cool mounts. Happy Thanksgiving to all my LOU buddies
  17. The custom dodger for the front of my 13 ft Whaler was the best investment I've made in my lifetime. It allowed me to go where other boats that size would not venture and it lasted for the 22 years I had the boat and was still doing fine when I sold the boat for three hundred bucks more than I had paid for it John used quality materials and it showed.
  18. I know this doesn't exactly directly answer your question but the most important consideration is the weather you intend to fish in. Lake Ontario can be a threat to nearly ANY boat under adverse weather conditions. There are people out there who fish near shore in 14 ft aluminum boats and even kayaks under the right (calm) conditions but even 40 foot boats can get into trouble when the lake gets really rough. Regardless of the boat selected a great deal of care needs to be taken regarding carefully choosing your days with close attention to the weather projected for that time period and there are still no "guarantees" out there even with that. You always to keep in the back of your mind the "What if " question and that is if the engine were to konk out". Nothing against Canadian citizenship but it should be voluntary
  19. I'd say it is about 100 miles and a couple hours to Sodus Point from Watertown.
  20. I'm not sure on that. He is a real good guy to do business with and you might want to give him a call and ask him. I do think that it is well worth the trip to Sodus Point to have the work done by him though if that ends up being the case. He does superb work for a very fair price.
  21. Put the boat away this week and finished up on the Fall perch fishing so I'm psyched for ice fishing now.... Most of my stuff has been ready since this summer You'd think after all these years and going through the ice a couple of times I wouldn't get all that excited but ice fishing is something special Let's hope for some good ice this year!
  22. My hunch is the rationale may be that historically folks have launched just before daylight to try to get the jump on the sun coming up and they have had to basically sit and wait before putting lines in the water as one of the questions on the lie detector test relates to whether or not you started before the start time of 6 AM. The 5 AM start time seems realistic in terms of fishing the shallow water for browns especially before the sun is up.
  23. jk1 it may be Eggleston Point you are referring to on the east side from the bluffs on the Penn Yan branch. We used to get a lot of lakers off there jerking copper and pulling cowbells with peanuts. For deep water jigging this time of year it can be good sometimes right at the edges of the two deepest holes one located on a southwest diagonal from the State launch and the other straight out from Marlena Point about in the middle of the lake arm straight out south from the bluff.
×
×
  • Create New...