-
Posts
13,929 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Events
Gallery
Store
Everything posted by Sk8man
-
There is a potential technical glitch involved with bulk storage of the minnows. The certification virus free receipt that is required signed and dated with the amount etc. is only good for 10 days.
-
Those Redtails are neat. I have a pair of very large adults that live in the woods nearby my house and they often land on the peak of my house to look for voles and field mice and the occasional rabbit in the field out back. One day I was sitting out on the patio out back with my Cairn Terrier on a leash sitting nearby and one of the hawks boldly landed on the corner of the roof. He sat there for a few minutes cocking his head back and forth very obviously eyeing up my dog and you could see he was deliberating about whether he could manage carrying him away. I put the dog inside .
-
Kicker for 18.5 tracker targa
Sk8man replied to drag&snag1985's topic in Questions About Trout & Salmon Trolling?
Hey Mike mine doesn't seem to vibrate or at least it doesn't seem to but then again I'm used to my old 2 stroke but I can't help but wonder about the mounting of yours. Is it on the transom like the old one? Mine is on a bracket. I wonder if you were to put some thin hard rubber underneath it on the transom? It might be picking up internal vibration from the transom itself. I used to do it on my previous boat to protect the transom glass from the mount screws as well as to deaden the vibration a bit. Just a thought....I used a piece cut from a tractor tire inner tube. -
I should think you'd be OK at the State park
-
Jighead has it right. Usually you can park near the little pavilion and walk to the semi-floating aluminum "dock". It used to be fairly good fishing there but in recent years it has been very tough to catch anything and in late Fall the mud puppies on the bottom will drive you crazy and will be the only thing hitting usually. I haven't caught anything in the last three times there casting lures or using live bait so don't get your hopes up too high . Once in awhile there will be a big smallie or two in there.
-
I was there Monday as was one other guy. The conditions sucked (water low weeds all over the surface outside the wall and quite clear in the marina and choked with weeds. Never had a touch or the other guy either nor did I see any fish whatsoever. The state park at Geneva was basically "unfishable" because of weeds and lily pad growth. There are still a million boats int he marina docks too. The caanal was gin clear and devoid of fish.
-
Canandaigua Water level for Launching 20+ft boat at •Canandaigua and Seneca Lakes state launches
Sk8man replied to EDAY's topic in Finger Lakes Discussion
Both launches are low water and you should have your lower unit up as far as you can. The channel at the north end has potential "bumps" in it and is about 2 ft (or less) in spots and the Woodville launch has a rock pile from the power loaders about midway out on the dock at the south side ramp. last week when I used it I had to have my motor completely out of the water and push off manually and start up once away from the ramp. The ramp to the north didn't seem as bad then anyway. It is also pretty shallow and muddy with a lot of weed growth out from the launch at Woodville for quite aways. -
Why wouldn't someone be calling in to the hotline with the boat numbers at least? I think that ranks up there with the most incompetent bringing to the net and "netting" too
-
-
-
I believe the lampricide affects the lamprey primarily while in the ammocete stage (larval stage that resides for a long time in the mud bottom of stream before venturing forth into the lake as a lamprey).The lampricide is complicated to administer at the right time, with stream conditions just so (e.g water flow, wind direction and magnitude and et..) and in amounts that only kill the ammocetes and not the other inhabitants in the surrounding area (fish, minnows and other organisms). The adult lampreys live for quite a long time so the larger ones you see out there have been around awhile and may have survived during previous stream flooding or periods when treatments weren't conducted.
-
We used to use sliding type window screens and have one kid disturb the bottom with his feet (in hip boots) and turn over rocks on the bottom that way and they would swim into the screen
-
Great "ad"" someone who really deserves the recognition
-
Johnny if you are fishing the north end try about 1/4 to 1/2 mile down the west side within sight of Main Street and downtown at the outer edge of the weedbeds. There are some decent perch in that lake if you can locate them.
-
When I was a kid I used to sell bait (crabs, bassbugs, Hellgramites and nightcrawlers) that I caught in the Canandaigua Outlet near Phelps NY. Hellgramites were the most difficult to get in numbers and they were the most expensive bait $1.25 per dozen (1954-1956 prices). The small mouth bass thought they were candy and luckily Hellgramites have tough almost rubbery skin so they stay on the hook real well so sometimes you could catch several bass on each one. I must admit when I heard the word Dobson above I was thinking bass bug kinda like a water borne grasshopper in shape and greenish brown in color)...never knew the technical name for them) not Hellgramite.
-
Canandaigua Water level for Launching 20+ft boat at •Canandaigua and Seneca Lakes state launches
Sk8man replied to EDAY's topic in Finger Lakes Discussion
Pretty soon they'll be casting sinkers and jigs all around it -
Canandaigua Water level for Launching 20+ft boat at •Canandaigua and Seneca Lakes state launches
Sk8man replied to EDAY's topic in Finger Lakes Discussion
Yeah the party we had in your boat last week was great Nick...sorry you couldn't make it and we didn't have time to clean up the beer cans because the sheriff was coming -
Cayuga 10/5, First try with the Seth Green.
Sk8man replied to relentless's topic in Finger Lakes Discussion
-
Mega mergers= monopoly in my book. Don't look for better pricing on their goods....kinda like Time Warner-Brighthouse issue. Consumers seldom benefit from these things....all about their bottom line not ours.
-
rolmops makes an excellent point here that should not be taken for granted. A kicker is nice to have and can help out too but like most things you can't totally rely on it when the chips are down. In 2013 during the initial hours of the Lake Trout Derby my impeller gave out on the 135 while I was about16 miles from the launch and in 45 mph winds. My trusty 2 stroke 9.9 was put into action but the wind was so strong it overcame the 9.9 even at full throttle. I was forced to go into about 6 ft of water near shore and anchor up with 2 twenty pound anchors hoping to ride it out....wind shifted... didn't work....luckily my buddy Admiral Bird was near Sampson and was able to tow me back to the Chamber launch. Big lesson. Never forget that you can always be "vulnerable" out there under the wrong conditions no matter how prepared you think you are.
-
Congratulations Rollie!
-
I'll bet if those damned things were messing up the private lakes where the Fed legislators have their cottages they wouldn't be so "attached" to them. They have polluted a number of ponds on Cape Cod....totally worthless bird and they damage many things in the ecosystem.
-
Warning: FLTA Canandaigua Tourney 10-2-2016
Sk8man replied to Sk8man's topic in Finger Lakes Discussion
I think a major thing today was the front moving through and the heavy rain last night. It probably messed up the thermocline pretty bad. The trout fishing has been way off historic levels for some time and especially so for the browns here and it was not a big surprise that none were entered today. At least it was "fishable" today although windy. I was also glad to see the launch ramp was doable and that there were no major problems. John - sorry I didn't get a chance to chat with you today as you were on the other side of the group at the weigh-in but I did get a chance to talk with a number of folks there and people I hadn't seen in quite awhile so was catching up on things. It looked like a good turn out today and everyone seemed to have a good time and that is the primary thing I guess. There were a few nice healthy looking bows in the mix too. The FLTA has some very skilled and well equipped fisherpersons in it and this was not one of the easiest tourneys to fish. Hopefully next year things will start turning around on Canandaigua. Congrats to the folks that caught bows....you earned them -
Good report Brian. Those rigs were given a good work out today
-
Thanks for posting the article. It certainly gives some food for thought and offers some important points for hopefully gaining better overall perspective on the issue (s). Sometimes it is hard to see the "forest for the trees" in understanding the complexities involved in this fishery and hard for some to get past the emotional aspects or vested interests in our own particular positions. It is always good to step back away from things and try to look at issues with a fresh perspective. If anything this thread has provided a lot of useful information that we might not have otherwise been privy to and widened the discussion in many respects. Hopefully this dialog combined with responsible decisions by the critical players in this will lead to a good outcome and that is what is ultimately important to all of us regardless of views on the issues. The level of cooperation between the Canadian and American "coordinators" in this is also encouraging because this part of it could be a disaster waiting to happen if it were not the case. Despite the many difficulties and differing views on what is going on out there and how best to solve the problems we do need to keep perspective and be supportive of the efforts being made by folks on both sides of the lake and hope that Mother Nature also cooperates.





