-
Posts
13,929 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Events
Gallery
Store
Everything posted by Sk8man
-
I second that....may not be the easiest one of the season
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
See this is what I mean about ball busters So I had a slight problem with my 5 gal. bucket full of minnows spilling fully in the car on the way home from getting bait....doesn't that happen to everybody once in awhile?....oh that's right ....not when it is their wife's car (while she is in Florida) Here is the result: and... yes I did hide all my guns and lock them up See I fessed up!
-
Question on cowbells and Spin n Glows
Sk8man replied to On the Hook's topic in Finger Lakes Discussion
Cowbells can be used above for example lakers suspended up but near the bottom but the most effective use is just off bottom with the sinker or weight bumping intermittently on bottom. It can work as the bottom most setup on a Seth Green rig too with leaders and lures above it but again it is most effective up off but near bottom. -
Looking at this kinda hit me as being pretty amazing this AM . Back in the seventies when I had my 13 ft Whaler I would have to drive from Geneva to Sodus Point to see what the waves were like and then decide whether it was "fishable" and sometimes had to sit in the parking lot or go to Chase's restaurant and hope it would calm down. Nowadays we take a lot for granted in this age of electronic technology and forget just how wonderful some aspects of it can be .
-
I didn't realize a store was involved....whole different ballgame than buying from someone unknown as a private sale.
-
I was thinking in terms of protecting both of you. As Ed indicated at least of bill of sale with the owners names and dates of sale etc. It can be important proof of when you came into possession of the firearm and from whom.
-
It can be that simple but what if it is stolen or has been used in a crime? Always good to be able to show valid chain of ownership in some manner as proof. Knowing the person you are dealing with is also a plus.
-
Copper Holographic Tapes & Die Cuts To Field Test For 2016
Sk8man replied to flytying's topic in Tackle and Techniques
-
-
-
Copper Holographic Tapes & Die Cuts To Field Test For 2016
Sk8man replied to flytying's topic in Tackle and Techniques
-
need help with sliders
Sk8man replied to Ohreelyfishing's topic in Questions About Trout & Salmon Trolling?
As far as the 50% goes I think some of it relates to the lure itself on the slider as well as the shape of the snap on the swivel. I stopped using coast locks way back when for that reason. If you use a swivel snap that is very rounded it may not get as "hung up" on the mainline and travel a bit further. The same goes for heavier spoons they do tend to travel further down the main line. Your speed is also a factor the bow in the main line tends to be more pronounced the faster the speed of the boat and may stop the lure further up.. Just more things to think about I guess -
Any suggestions for trolling in Hemlock?
Sk8man replied to SwedishFish's topic in Finger Lakes Discussion
SwedishFish I don't want you to think I was criticizing your boat or the size of it as that is certainly not the case. Especially so as I spent 22 years in a 13 ft. Whaler that ventured to the middle of Lake Ontario more than once but I have also hung up two Seth Greens at once and I know fully the forces exerted on a small boat in that siituation and it can sink you if unlucky and that is what my comment was directed to. Safety first fishing second -
I can't answer the whether it is worth the $150 or not but where I find one useful is in determining where my lines actually run depth- wise and in the desired temperature range. It is most useful when and after the thermocline forms usually around mid to late June or so I use it with coppers and leadcore primarily but it works with a dipsey setup as well. I also use it in summer to find a starting point for the thermocline for my Seth Green rigs on the Finger Lakes as it can give you a temperature profile at 5 ft intervals down to 100 ft which is what I am mainly interested in then. I attach mine to a downrigger when totally still in the water and I have a recording sheet for 100 ft at 5 ft intervals and I run it down and then back up and record the data at th 5 ft.intervals and look for the area where the temp changes the most radically and that will be the thermocline so I set my lines so I am fishing within and slightly above it (also taking into consideration specific species preferred temps which may or may not be as accurate or valid as some folks may think) as I am not interested in lakers much of the time I fish. This method only gives a starting point which is better than nothing but the thermocline varies in the water column in terms of depth and in various parts of the lakes to so it isn't foolproof and it isn't momentary like say a Fishawk X series but is better than nothing for someone on a tight budget.
-
need help with sliders
Sk8man replied to Ohreelyfishing's topic in Questions About Trout & Salmon Trolling?
-
My hunch is that a true silver finish such as the Sutton reflects better in the water than say nickel or chrome but the little individual facets on the hammered spoons reflect light more directionally with light hitting and bouncing off so that there may be more of a chance of the "glittering" in the sunlight being seen. Actually "who knows?








