Jump to content

Sk8man

Professional
  • Posts

    13,929
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Sk8man

  1. I think Angling Addict may be right...harmonics may be at fault.... as the CHIRP frequencies I believe would be in the upper ranges from the Fish Hawk and signals that occur at multiples of a given frequency can create "harmonics" and "mimic" that original frequency or parts of it in a receiving unit. So in this case it wouldn't be the placement of the transducer or units but the nature of the signal itself that is causing the problem.
  2. Shade of Grey brings up a very important point in my opinion and that is the ease with which you can access the various functions on the screen in addition to being able to see screens in bright sunlight. The non touch screen units have "nested" menus so you have to hunt for things and some of the desired items can be hidden within them sometimes several layers down and it can be a real pain and waste of time trying to access them when on the water and especially when you are in a hurry. Not all of these options or items are very intuitive either and although I am a Lowrance and Vexilar guy in terms of personal preference and experience but the Lowrance manuals (if you can call them that) totally suck. The touch screens may offer a better experience in terms of quickness and ease of use but I have not used them (yet) but this issue is certainly worth looking at closely in my view. Because the competition has been very keen in recent years all these major companies have been putting out good quality units ( e.g. Humminbird, Lowrance,and Garmin and at a somewhat higher end the Furuno's)) and you need to closely look at exactly how you will be using the unit you select and the specific transducer selection will be as important as anything too.
  3. The Fish hawk runs at 70 khz and I think that frequency was selected specifically to provide separation from the other common depth finder frequencies used. I think that under most normal circumstances you shouldn't have any problems in that regard. I'm not so sure about operating very close to another boat using the same Fish Hawk unit though whether some sort of interference might occur with the signal as it would be operating at the same frequency.
  4. If it was your blue one you wouldn't need a pole to go fishing
  5. Good idea about the snaps ....two of mine were out on the road someplace
  6. Slammin I think I'd want some detailed pics of the INSIDE of the boat before pulling the trigger.....given the reference to animal damage ....could be severe.
  7. Did you take your medication today Mark?
  8. It probably isn't far off for many circumstances. Back some time ago my wife and I took a course on starting your own small business from the Business College (evenings) at FLCC. She did hers on Social Work Private Practice and I did mine on chartering as I was close to retirement and had thought about getting my captain's license etc.. We had to develop a thorough business plan and then present it at the end to the class with a breakdown including earnings on an hourly basis (which I knew from experience would be a problem ). I presented my findings and cost breakdowns etc. and got to the hourly wage part at the end and it amounted to something like $2.79 per hour. I could see right there the only benefit for me would be the potential write off for my addiction Florida, California maybe a different story where you have the whole year to make money but there you have all the competition too. You really have to love to fish and these guys earn their money too. Additionally I got to thinking do I really want to take a chance on getting burned out on something that I love so much dealing with all the potential issues without being able to actually fish myself all that much.
  9. Best wishes for a full recovery Jason
  10. You might want to use your own judgment on setting the drag though
  11. Admiral Byrd said the same thing....despite being an ancient dude I still have some quickness for some things
  12. I didn't mean to infer that you pull lines Rick I think we know better than that
  13. A couple things strike me as worth mentioning here just as food for thought regarding the issue of how much backing you have. The running the chute vs,. board setup issue is a good point and some others to think about are; The gear ratio of your reel becomes very important in this situation as does the drag itself and how you use it. Many if not most of the aggressive salmon will stop briefly within a hundred yards or so if they feel increasing tension on the line (I know there are exceptions and I've had them). If you are using a reel with say a 20 lb drag and a gear ratio of 6 to 1 it can be a very different situation than having a drag of 15 lbs and a gear ratio of 3 or 4 to 1 in terms of the amount of control you MAY have over taking line back when provided even the most brief opportunity. I know some folks feel that the drag should be set and then left alone under all circumstances (and it may make a lot of sense for charters for example) but if you have a smooth drag that is familiar to you it can used as an effective weapon against the fish by making him use as much energy as possible to tire him out quickly (especially if they will be released) as there is a point below the breaking strength of line that the fish will be working and pulling against the boat itself rather than just the drag and this is where things can be exploited (not for the average charter customer though ). Rick mentions another very important thing that is often ignored and that is using the boat in any way possible against the fighting fish and I know it is an unpopular view on here to pull lines and chase down a big fish but sometimes it is necessary (e.g. a tournament where you don't want to take chances) and can also be helpful in the short backing situation as well.
  14. cmbomysoad - I was was lucky enough to field test the prototype spoons for Jeff and I was immediately struck by the incredible action at a variety of speeds...they are great spoons and I don't hesitate recommending them to anyone because .they work and I have faith in them.
  15. Just make sure you get the new one with the RED screen on the display. A lot of places advertise the X4D bu it is the non-Blue Tooth model without surface speed and that has the BLUE screen
  16. I agree Brian and That is exactly what I was hinting at Big
  17. I'll take lot 4 John (with the 6 Evil Eyes in it ).
  18. They are all a PIA to untangle
  19. True but not everyone viewing things here is a highly experienced charter guy either and hopefully the discussion will generate some increased interest in trying different approaches for some or to give a little backdrop to others new to the sport.
  20. Bloodrun SeaFlee 30 lb here both environments
  21. Just a comment about big boards vs. inlines for folks that possibly haven't used either option yet. - The big boards are nice as far as pulling control goes and especially with heavier setups (e.g. longer coppers and cores) providing you have a boat with room that will allow you to locate a mast forward or on top or sides of top if hard top and anchored real well to drag them with. They may also pull better in rough water depending on the particular boards. The inlines are best for shorter setups and toplines or small dipseys as they are a bit easier to run in and out near the shoreline (e.g. for browns etc.) and are often faster to bring in in heavy traffic adjustments. They also take up much less room in the boat and are less expensive for the budget conscious (unless like some of us where you end up with a bunch of them ). They each have their place in the arsenal and strengths and weaknesses as well. Although a purist may go with the Albright or another knot for connections I have never had a Spro #8 swivel failure regardless of knot used and they don't require gluing etc. and Rob is right cut don't re-tie those ends
  22. I thought he was referring to attaching leaders to the copper
×
×
  • Create New...