Jump to content

Sk8man

Professional
  • Posts

    13,929
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Sk8man

  1. Use the 83 (some units 50) for marking the weights with downriggers and if need be switch to the 200khz when "checking out" bottom oriented features or cruising. Sometimes using the reduce Clutter function and turning up the sensitivity can give you the desired bottom signal at speed with the lower khz setting too but the transducer has to be located at the correct angle (for your particular boat hull) and positioned in a reduced turbulance area. My unit (much more basic unit) will mark bottom fine at over 50 mph on the 83 khz setting with the standard dual beam Lowrance transducer but I had to play a bit with the transducer angle taking into consideration being on plane and looking at the way the water would pass that area of the hull (and it is on a mounting board on the transom rather than directly on the transom itself). Momay - resistor spark plugs may help
  2. Nice healthy looking fish....good going Ed! Lawn work was calling me today....and tomorrow looks real "iffy" with "thunderstorms some severe" predicted. I'm anxious to get back out and try a couple of new "girly" lures Les
  3. Great...thanks and best of luck to you fishing and hunting. Les
  4. Cool! That's what it is all about.....those are the days that are burned into our memory banks...
  5. That makes two of us Mike. Thanks for the posting old man.
  6. :smile: Tim
  7. I guess it as worth it to me to pay the full shot so I don't end up like I did one year....being out on the ice with a mess of perch lying next to me and realising that I had forgot to get my license that year ! Luckily I was near town on a weekday and went to the town clerks office....
  8. Best bet is to have a good canvas guy make you one so that it fits the way it should...they are never cheap but worth the money if done right.
  9. Very well said Vince . Thank you.
  10. I bought the regular resident one for 2014 a couple weeks ago for the usual $29.
  11. Steering a boat isn't rocket science....but it takes focused attention..... people can't be looking at their Iphones and texting or rummaging through the cooler to get a drink and steer properly at the same time. Many times we get used to our own particular "systems" and ways of doing things and then either forget or fail to communicate important details to others who take over steering for us and then expect them to know these little basic "ins and outs" such as using a specific compass heading, staying with a landmark, cutting across waves at an angle, or watching the angles and positions of the lines and then we get pissed at the people for not doing what we want them to do. Most of the time the responsibility (and blame) resides with US. It is often because we are so "into" our fishing game and anxious to get started etc. that we don't take the necessary time to go over what to do and the reasons for doing it a certain way. Its probably 50 percent of the reason my wife doesn't fish with me anymore
  12. Matt is right....the clear hot glue is the way to go instead of shrink wrap....If you use the clear stuff right you can actually see through it and spot a potential fray but since it isn't really "movable" I've never had one. I've only used one wrap though.
  13. Bondouley I want you to know for sure I wasn't being critical of you in any way whatsoever.....I thought later that I should have said that at the outset....I just wanted to let folks new to the trolling scene know not to expect several kings every time out there....I too enjoy your posts and those of the other folks out there that take the time and effort to share information and opinions...... I think that this website is a real credit to our sport. Les
  14. I "second" Chris' comment. I look forward to your reports as well and find them entertaining as well as informative I also find it encouraging as in the pic above that young people are getting involved in our sport (vs. staring at the computer, Iphone or TV screen all day). For the past decade or so hunting and fishing has not seen many newcomers in the way of younger people and that will be the future of the sport. I think the exposure gained on the YT is a great start for some lucky dudes... Keep up the good work Rick! Les
  15. Yes Ed it has come out of the west here with a lot of thunder and lightning headed your way I think.
  16. I think some of the reasons for the growth of the Lakers is related to the fact that they can live 6 to 7 times longer than browns or Pacific salmon (30 yrs or so) and the "slot limit" protects them to a degree, they can feed in the shallows and compete with other large fish without the fear of being eaten as well as the fact that they have a very diversified diet and are not truly dependent on alewives. I have found sunfish, perch, small bass and various crustaceans in their stomach contents over the years suggesting to me that they are very "adaptive".
  17. Poor Pete probably had his gonads busted the whole time too
  18. It is pretty wierd....the total shutdown of the lake.,.. but John is right never give up! We get used to the big time action ofthe kings but fishing has always been an"up and down" proposition. I can remember back in the mid to late 1970's when it took about 8 or9 hours to catch a legal trout on Seneca before the stocking efforts increased and that was all the time...It taught those of us who stayed with it patience as well as made us really delve deep into our bag of tricks to deliver....anyone that thinks they have this stuff "all figured out" is delusional... but trying to fit the pieces of the puzzle together is part of the fun.....
  19. Tim....you weren't alone on that I don't think very many were caught (like in years past anyway) all along the south shore from the posts here at least. It will be interesting to know what turns up at the hatchery this year too in the way of matures in comparison to the past couple years.
  20. Justin, Really sorry to hear about your dog....it's like losing a family member...We went through it a year and a half ago and despite having another dog now that is great we still miss Max....our condolences bud.
  21. It might have been my pink Barbie Zebco with the king on the other end?
  22. and the eyes are the second thing to go Rick
  23. But wasn't it SEPTEMBER? (says August above) Man... I know what you mean... in the past the action was good sometimes well into October....unreal...and really good fish too...things in general seem early to me this year...we have some leaves on the ground around here and some of the trees are turning a couple weeks early...crazy...
  24. Rick - You might want to edit the dates (says August 5th and 6th). Tough going out there and if you weren't able to do it it wasn't "doable"....tough to figure this total shutoff on the lake.... Les
×
×
  • Create New...