Jump to content

Sk8man

Professional
  • Posts

    13,929
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Sk8man

  1. Thanks Ed....I think I might take my parka
  2. WTG Ed! Hoping to get out on Canandaigua in the AM to give things a try myself. Les
  3. As usual Gator is right on target with his information. I've had 10 Daiwa 47H's (metal ones) from about 1985 or 86 with hundreds of fish on them and they are still running great and they've had plenty of kings on with 12 lb test line (before fleas) and I never worried about getting "spooled".
  4. Thanks Chris for posting that....
  5. WTG thats the way to do up right
  6. I couldn't agree more Tim.
  7. Very nice! There are some good ones out there and the look on that little guys face says it all in terms of whether he had a good time Nice work on both counts!
  8. Very well said John.
  9. It certainly explains the vivid green color of the water we've been seeing and may explain the poor fishing results the last week or so. Thanks Tom
  10. I guess after having a lot of fun with the Atlantics over the years in the Finger Lakes it would seem that there is a place for them in the Lake O fishery as well. They are a pretty incredible fighting fish once they reach a decent size and their arial displays are like none other in the fresh water fishery. It doesn't have to be an "either or" situation....the habitat will support both. They were largely over fished commercially in the late1800's/early 1900's which was the primary reason for their demise not really factors relating to "not belonging" here and like the Paciific salmon they are actually saltwater fish for most of their "natural" lives so neither is truly "native" to these waters. The concerns about reproduction issues are valid concerns - especially for the fisheries folks but as sport fishermen we are very lucky indeed to have the variety of fish that we currently enjoy on Lake O.I for one celebrate the diversity of the fishery rather than feel that because I intensely enjoy fishing for the kings other species should be left on their own as they add an element of"surprise" to the total ball game.
  11. I think it is still a judgment call and selectively clearing lines for a big roaming king to create a space or "channel" to guide him into isn't a bad idea especially for smaller boat situations. It usually isn't necessary to clear all lines as a rule. "Hanging" downrigger weights near the water doesn't help most situations either
  12. I guess the short rod folks are in short supply so I'll offer my two cents for them. All of the above information is very relevant and informative and I've used both long and short rods...they both have their place in the fishing "arsenal". It really boils down to a personal preference when all is said and done. I fish alone quite a bit on an 18 ft boat and trying to net a good sized fish while trying to back up in the boat holding on to the rod and lifting the Spin Doc or flasher out of the water (not to mention steering the boat ...don't have autopilot) is a real challenge and you lose fish that way with a long rod. I now use medium weight 6 1/2 ft. rods with roller tips and 30 lb stainless wire and also braid. The roller tip assists in reducing friction at the tip, offers a larger opening for barrel swivels to come through and because I use the #8 (50 lb test Spro Power swivels) I can use fluoro or mono leaders of any length for rigs other than the flashers and Spin docs. The rod holders I have are stainless and will even support outriggers if I choose to toward the back when fishing alone and very heavy duty and they stick out a foot or so from the sides of the boat and are a couple feet up from the gunwales allowing the rods to come close to a 90 degree angle offering maximum line separation. Unlike the charters and larger boats I only run about 6 lines too which is a different "animal" than the 12 or so they may be running with a wider beam. Rod angle in the rod holders and positioning of them may be as important as rod length for line separation. Two of my dipsey rigs are usually run from outriggers (mono or braid) or TX 44 board and I run 2 downriggers with sliders usually. Anyway shorter rods may have a place for some folks like myself....and my longer ones seldom see use anymore.
  13. Sweet! Hey have they installed the new docks yet? Haven't been down there for a couple months.
  14. Nice going Mike. Man....no wonder there was a lot of debris with Hector running like that....
  15. You should be able to place the switch in the up position and it should raise the ball automatically....maybe the switch itself is bad and is shorting out if it doesn't do that. I'd give a call to Screwey Louie's in Fairhaven http://screwylouiessportshop.com/index.php
  16. Mike said what I was thinking....must be our Seneca background giving us ESP You folks have added a lot to the local fishing scene especially with the videos and reports and I'm sure the Lake O exposure helps the charter folks as well. Despite not winning the Derby....you had a successful run as well as a lot of good food from the looks of the food pics Thanks for all the info. Les
  17. If the life vest is the type with the little tablet in the inflator....it was probably subjected to water somehow (rain etc.)
  18. Al you have a PM. Les
  19. Yes J plug "a touch of class" and refreshing to see these days.
  20. Might want to have the belt itself checked out for adjustment or wear. Automotive places have some spray specifically for belts. May also be water pump bearing/fan starting to go??
  21. Nice going Jeremy....especially considering most folks have been striking out....
  22. It's all part of the wonderful age of electronics
  23. Woody.... you have a PM
×
×
  • Create New...