Henderson Shores, 3 sm. salmon

June 21, trolling NW, off the shore near Henderson Shores,   picked up and released 3 small juvenile salmon (16, 21, 25").  Straight north of Oswego/Mexico. 

Was following drop off along the Wall and the Trench.  Saw several other well equipped boats doing the same. 

Hoping to hear soon,  about others getting success with much larger, migrating  mature salmon. 

• Like 1

All 3 were deeper than I expected. 

Going 2.4 mph surface GPS speed,  and similar down on Fishhawk probe:

One on Magnum dipsy 2.5 setting,  180 ft of braid,  green spoon 4 ft leader back of Gibbs delta flasher (big fan, especially for lakers).

The other two,  off riggers,  down 90ft,  same set up as Dipsy's,   20 to 40ft back of Scotty clips off 15 lbs shark weights. 

At this speed and these 15 pounders,   I  am seeing about 13-20 foot of differential between Scotty rigger's wire out and actual (105ft of rigger's cable out, was showing 90 ft on probe.  Blowback is very,  very sensitive to speed changes).

I was experimenting with different techniques and depth, so was surprised at catching these little guys. 

The two year olds are what is available in the eastern basin at this time of year.  The matures will begin moving east in mid July 🤞 A 20’ difference in depth between cable counter and actual depth is not surprising. There are times I’ve let out 150 ‘ of cable to reach 100’  currents , wind , boat speed all contribute to blowback   Now that school year is over , I hope to get out more frequently. We did very well on browns inshore this spring  and a few nice walleyes in the mix 

IMG_5217.jpeg

I fished out of stony creek on Sunday. Trolled between 130-175 ft all morning. Only had one hit all morning and managed to land a 14 lb king. Bite came on a flasher fly 95 down on a rigger. Was alternating speeds all morning between 2.4 and 3.2 gos speed. (Sorry no fish hawk) didn’t mark much of anything a bait ball every once in awhile. think I just got lucky and ran over one. Should get better soon

CEF14602-1667-486C-A67B-BCC5F329DCC7.jpeg

• Like 1