Panther motor mount safety cable

I finally got my Panther mount on the boat and the kicker on it.  The manual says to use the safety cable when trailering but doesn’t say how to use it.  It has an open loop on one end and a caribener type clip on the other.  My boat mechanic didn’t know what it was either. Can anyone post a picture of how it’s used?  I would understand it better if I could see it visually I think. 

I also have the panther with the safety cable, but It said to always have the cable attached to the kicker and the bracket when on the water. The manual also says to remove the kicker from the boat when trailering. If already you want to trailer with the kicker on the bracket, make sure the thing is tied down properly so the bumping and the banging does not damage the bracket or cause the kicker to bounce off.

Is the cable supposed to be attached to the bracket so if the kicker falls off while on the water it is hanging from the bracket? I read the manual when I first got the bracket over a month ago and then took it in to the mechanic to install it and just got it back.  I remember now that it said the cable was for on the water and not supposed to be trailered with the kicker on.  The motor has a metal loop on it that looks like a connecting point for the cable but don’t see anything on the bracket itself.  

The real reason for the cable is panther covering its "rearside" They do not want to be held liable for mishaps like the kicker falling of the bracket or the bracket breaking when traveling at high speed on a bumpy road, or the kicker falling off the  bracket while traveling at high speed on the water as in bass tournament racing. I'm not sure if it totally covers their rear. The idea of having a safety cable attached to boat and kicker is a good one, but it had better be a bit more robust than that funny little cable.

Edited by rolmops

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, greenhornet73 said:

I’ve been using two ratchet straps and it doesn’t seem to bounce around at all. You shouldn’t need to drain the oil to take the kicker off as long as you lay it down on the correct side?

The "correct side" is a tricky thing seeing that vertical is the ideal side

I have a mercury 9.9 and there is a sticker on the side that says “this side up” I store it in my garage that way without draining the oil and haven’t had any problems. The dealer actually had it on its side when I picked it up.

Edited by greenhornet73

• 5 weeks later...

I have the cable attached now and have been trailering it with 2 ratchet straps to hold it tight to the transom but the safety cable only seems to be there to allow the motor to drag on the road or hang under the boat in case it comes free from the bracket.  I also have the wing nuts on the motor attached together with a piece of wire to prevent them from spinning loose enough to make the motor unsecure.