Mexico Bay - Kings, Steelies and Browns 5/9-5/16

Well, we made our annual trip up the second week of May.

I prepare for the trip by reading this site, when I get home I try to help out by posting how/what we did.

Fished Mexico Bay May 11-15th. Caught fish.

Sunday 5/10 - couldn't get out, too much wind.

Monday 5/11 - Limit of browns (6) in an hour and a half trolling around Catfish Creek in stained water, 9-12'. Black and silver stingers behinf boards way up on top.

Tuesday 5/12 - Fished off the bluffs just east of the power plant in 75-95 fow. 4 kings (30-36 inched) and two steelies 24 and 27 inches. Kings were off the ball at 55' (ball was probably at 45'). Flashed fish down to 65', even some lakers (presumably) on bottom at 110' later in the week. Used a no name spoon, dark metalic green, metallic red and black. Lost it and it's brother on Friday... sad day. Steelies came at 20' (tandem rigs off down rigger) in black and silver stingers.

Wednesday 5/13 - 2 kings 34 inches each. Good, I was getting tired of filleting. Same place, same spoons. Weather wonderful, fish weren't hitting like day before though. Trolled entire shoreline from bluffs to east of catfish creek for browns without a hit. Water was fairly clear, even at the creek discharges.

Thursday 5/14 - couldn't get out, too much wind.

Friday 5/15 - First two hits off the bluffs took our spoons. Just checked the leaders too. Looked like steelies out of the water, then gone. Fished hard with pink and black (only colors that seemed to work) between 85-110 FOW for two kings. Found a break where the water went from 45 to 49 degrees, hooked fish each side of it as well as in it. Didn't seem to make much difference.

We noted that the fishing was always better if there were waves and chop. Browns like the stained water coming out of the creeks (duh). So really, blow off days are good because you're going to catch fish the next day. Bring cards for the blowing days though.

We also noted that we would frequently pick up fish exactly where we had picked up fish before. So when you hook up, mark a way point and then keep going over it. Most fish came from basically the same places. Different days, different place... but it remained fairly consistent. We ended up playing connect the dots on the gps.