Food Plot Late Season - Brassica

So anyone out there have this issue? You plant several brassica plots for archery and late season, they get hammered all archery but then get very light use during late season? Seems like I always have thousands of bulbs that just sit all winter. I’m right in Brockport and I’ve seen plots with brassicas get absolutely upturned by deer trying to get to the bulbs during late season. Just seems like it’s never happening on my parcel. Again the bow season use of the plots is absolutely perfect, just not in December/January. It’s getting to the point I might just do winter rye plots if all they want are the greens….

Edited by idn713

I find that they usually eat the greens first and then once the greens are gone they focus more on the bulbs.   I think this year has been a little odd because we have had almost zero snow cover and there is tons of food everywhere...   It almost seems like sometimes they know the bulbs are there, but they leave them for when they really need them...  If we get a foot of snow, I am willing to bet my plots will be all dug up because they know they are there and will go after them.

Typically I would agree with you, could just be too warm of a year for maximum bulb utilization. Obviously the ultimate plot would be corn, but I’ve heard that can be a pain to do. 

I see the same thing and my farm is also in the Brockport area. (Sweden)  I have a couple of clover plots and do a half acre annual plot. I have tried several varieties of brassicas and other blends and the deer seem to prefer the clover in the winter.  I tried "Winter PZ" 2 years ago which was a mix of oats, clover and peas.  The deer ate almost every single pea plant in short order.  Oats came up great and the residual clover came up so well in the spring, i didnt mow it and let it go to seed.  I am planning on spraying in the summer and trying all winter peas this fall.  Would be interested to know if anyone else has any recommendations.  Maintaining all perennial plots would be a lot easier and I may go to all clover if i cant find anything better.

Edit: May be worth noting that my food plots are in different large fields where corn and beans are rotated. (we lease to a farmer)

Edited by 13owhunter
adding new info

45 minutes ago, idn713 said:

Typically I would agree with you, could just be too warm of a year for maximum bulb utilization. Obviously the ultimate plot would be corn, but I’ve heard that can be a pain to do. 

I have planted corn and have had success in doing so..    The problem I have with corn is that everything likes it and at the end of the day you can plant a few acres and it does not amount to much sustainable food (for the most part you get one ear per stalk, maybe 2).   Between the birds, turkey, racoons (you will be amazed how much they can eat), deer, etc..   whenever I have planted corn it was essentially gone by mid-November...   I like Brassica because it provides the bucks something substantial to eat coming out of the rut.....  Part of it depends on what your goal is...  hunting plot?  post rut food source?  

2 hours ago, 13owhunter said:

I see the same thing and my farm is also in the Brockport area. (Sweden)  I have a couple of clover plots and do a half acre annual plot. I have tried several varieties of brassicas and other blends and the deer seem to prefer the clover in the winter.  I tried "Winter PZ" 2 years ago which was a mix of oats, clover and peas.  The deer ate almost every single pea plant in short order.  Oats came up great and the residual clover came up so well in the spring, i didnt mow it and let it go to seed.  I am planning on spraying in the summer and trying all winter peas this fall.  Would be interested to know if anyone else has any recommendations.  Maintaining all perennial plots would be a lot easier and I may go to all clover if i cant find anything better.

Edit: May be worth noting that my food plots are in different large fields where corn and beans are rotated. (we lease to a farmer)

I’ve got a half acre brassica plot I put in this year along with another 1/3 acre brassica plot that’s going on year 3 and two 1/3 acre clover plots on year three. I’ll tell you I adore clover plots but I do find that come December they really aren’t much of a draw. Everything I read really brings you back to brassica, but I feel like a fenced acre of corn could be a game changer. Then again I have so many raccoons I could run a petting zoo. I trapped 7 in a week one time and I could have easily gotten more. 

1.) learn from what the deer are telling you on your parcel - they most likely have other more preferred food sources and you don’t have a wood lot over crowded by deer, thus they aren’t eating your bulbs

2.) try adding some winter peas to your brassica plot next year to sweeten it

3.) most people crowd brassicas and put seed down too thick…remember to follow proper seed rates to get the best greens and bulbs. If they’re hammering your brassicas too early and they’re stunted from overcrowding , you won’t get good tubers

4.) do a soil test each year. Brassicas and the bulbs need proper fertilizer to taste good

5.) often it takes a few years for deer to really start hammering brassicas unless you have no other food sources

6.) I’m not sure why you are concerned? Usually I still have some greens well into muzzle season….the deer digging up turnips, daikon etc isn’t really until deep winter on my property, after the hunting seasons

7.) don’t plant brassicas same plot two years in a row

8.) go back to #1 - follow what the deer tell you and plant what they eat on your parcel….what’s good for one wood lot, doesn’t always work for another.

9.) that being said, I have five plots that I rotate , some 1/4 acre, others 1.5 acres….my go to combos are:

- clover and cereal rye fall 

- peas/oats/cereal rye fall

- brassicas/radish/ turnips fall

- spring planting of sorghum and buckwheat. I either do a no till and knock it down over rye/oats/peas or kill it and re till late summer and plant my fall stuff

- once your clover gets going, over seed and frost seed in the early spring….imperial clover from whitetail institute is like crack to my deer

- always always always do a soul test each year 

fun stuff - I love love love food plots  but I’m constantly learning . 

Chris 

Edited by momay4000

415C539A-10BD-4AF1-8249-B13A78C318FF.thumb.jpeg.c312a44c429c26f24a34c6b416c185b5.jpegFE952203-F439-4D02-B689-F4D3F5E95224.thumb.jpeg.1779918c352b11e7dbb249d4477720de.jpegD9161C6D-F8F5-4261-BA2F-322C0D12FFD2.thumb.jpeg.73945362e6e716500e8fdeaaebeb986d.jpeg0FEC3A60-28A9-4DEC-A422-6B64B6084C27.thumb.jpeg.aaf5012192ca338738e884770c519657.jpeg89028F15-5837-486F-90FB-DE860AC02D8A.thumb.jpeg.fea2e595a2b9211d90fdd7f657d65399.jpeg9189E10E-BAE1-42DB-9A86-B53341776721.thumb.jpeg.da1ae4df5751db2ca2074f654e3e82a2.jpeg0AB99766-8F78-4415-B632-BFE7A1E10723.thumb.jpeg.facf4319cdb25e7f2050364bfa4945d6.jpeg58B35D75-BAEF-4109-9B43-A70BCD259EEA.thumb.jpeg.f8487bb2a4fa07312b551d3a84925ad6.jpeg
Top pic - clover

Next - rye/clover fall planting

Spring buckwheat

three year old clover plot 

Cereal rye/oats/winter peas fall planting

cereal rye cover/clover fall

three year old clover plot 

buck I got this year in between clover and brassica plots

i can’t upload brassica pic for some reason 

good luck - Chris 

34A864AD-A4DF-4C10-874D-A868448A9818.jpeg

So I will say that I’ve been at this for a while and utilizing no till as well (with the exception of establishing a new plot). 

My soil is pretty good as it was farmland back in the day and it’s pretty neutral. 

I’ll tell you that I have beautiful clover and the brassica comes in awesome as well, I do believe you have something in that I need to tweak my fertilizer strategy but as far as the crops I’ve established, I have no issue and the deer hammer them. I just want something that will PULL deer from my neighbors and establish that coveted late season draw. 

It may very well be that there are just too many brassica plots nearby as I know of at least 2 neighbors doing the same thing. 

IMG_3564.jpeg

IMG_7653.jpeg

IMG_7652.jpeg

IMG_7632.jpeg

IMG_7594.jpeg

IMG_7583.jpeg

SYEW3023.jpeg

IMG_8099.jpeg

IMG_5958.jpeg

• Like 1