Okuma Coldwater Reels

Looking to add another pair of wire divers this year. Was doing some research on the Coldwaters and found some threads on sticking drag issues. I primarily run Convectors and have upgraded the drags. Saw a few older threads (2021-ish) that said Okuma was supposed to upgrade/address the drag problem. Anybody know if Okuma has followed through?

Any thoughts on Coldwaters as diver reels? Would I likely be just as satisfied with upgraded Convectors? I am on a somewhat limited budget, so the better half won't appreciate any suggestions to spend more money. 😉

3 hours ago, VanderLaan said:

Looking to add another pair of wire divers this year. Was doing some research on the Coldwaters and found some threads on sticking drag issues. I primarily run Convectors and have upgraded the drags. Saw a few older threads (2021-ish) that said Okuma was supposed to upgrade/address the drag problem. Anybody know if Okuma has followed through?

Any thoughts on Coldwaters as diver reels? Would I likely be just as satisfied with upgraded Convectors? I am on a somewhat limited budget, so the better half won't appreciate any suggestions to spend more money. 😉

According to my Okuma Rep the sticky drag issue was finally resolved. After years and years of back and forth with them I was told the resolved the issue. 

With that being said both the coldwaters and convectors have the same drag. I have used both as diver reels and they both do the job however I prefer the Convector 30 high speed  personally. I never have liked the "looks" of the coldwaters.

9 minutes ago, Legacy said:

After years and years of back and forth with them I was told the resolved the issue. 

With that being said both the coldwaters and convectors have the same drag.

Thanks for the response. I like my Convectors and would be happy to buy another pair. Are the drag upgrades no longer needed for Convectors? 

Edited by VanderLaan

24 minutes ago, VanderLaan said:

Thanks for the response. I like my Convectors and would be happy to buy another pair. Are the drag upgrades no longer needed for Convectors? 

I will admit that upgrading the drags is awesome however I have been told that straight out of the box they are solid now.

9 hours ago, VanderLaan said:

I have a bunch of the convectors and the coldwaters bought new last March. I used them during the season and thought you had to turn the star a long ways just to get I little more or less drag. Didn’t like it too much, but not the end of the world. Sent them all in to get the upgrade and they seem much better.  Maybe the 2024 reels are better. Just don’t know. BTW I use the convectors for my wires and the CW for riggers and boards. 

11 minutes ago, Silver Fox said:

I have a bunch of the convectors and the coldwaters bought new last March. I used them during the season and thought you had to turn the star a long ways just to get I little more or less drag. Didn’t like it too much, but not the end of the world. Sent them all in to get the upgrade and they seem much better.  Maybe the 2024 reels are better. Just don’t know. BTW I use the convectors for my wires and the CW for riggers and boards. 

Thanks for the insight.