Prescribed Burns in NY - Allowed?

Hey all, quick question, my family owns 60 acres in the Town of Sweden (outside Brockport) and I was thinking of adding prescribed fire to my management strategies. I want to create better diversity in my CRP and get the understory going in my hardwoods. Do you know if prescribed fire is a possibility in NY? Is there anyone on this site who does it? Just trying to learn a little bit more about it. 

I contacted the DEC and fire dept. this past summer because we were planning on doing Burns for the same reason as you. But was told that I was not allowed to by the Brockport fire chief. In talking with him could tell that he truly didn't know what I was looking to do, so I contacted the DEC to get a better understanding why I was not allowed to burn. After talking with them they said that you can you prescribed burns but it would be very expensive as you need to have licensed personal on sight, the fire dept.  on sight even though they told me I was not allowed to. The DEC them selfs do prescribed burns throughout the state every year.  All I can say is good luck. I had 6ft fire breaks around every perimeter I planned on burning and the right tools to do it and was still told no, really screwed up our plans.

Ugh I was afraid of this answer. I was getting the feeling that around Monroe County it is just not something that is allowed or done. It is stupid as on private property, you should be allowed to do what you can for your land management. This seems to show a massive amount of ignorance on the states part for just how effective of a conservation tool fire can be, and it is becoming wildly popular again down south.

I would just go ahead and do it anyway, but I have a feeling the neighbors would be making calls about the smoke and I have to imagine the fine I would get wouldn't be minimal.

5 minutes ago, LazyRiver585 said:

Would you be devastated if some stranger went trespassing on your land and accidentally dropped one of his Newport cigarette butts in some very dry grass and brush… that just so happens to be exactly where you wanted burned?

Aw, man! Right in the middle of my carefully laid out block! Hopefully, those very carefully prepared firebreaks to control it! Who could have seen that coming?

1 hour ago, idn713 said:

Aw, man! Right in the middle of my carefully laid out block! Hopefully, those very carefully prepared firebreaks to control it! Who could have seen that coming?

that should have a pm. Now it is in the public domain and any fire on your property will be seen as susupicious.

13 minutes ago, rolmops said:

that should have a pm. Now it is in the public domain and any fire on your property will be seen as susupicious.

lol. Good thing I don’t do things that are illegal. It’s a joke, and I’m not gonna start any illegal fires. 

• Like 1