Memorial Day 2009 - I-Bay AM Report

Absolutely fantastic day fishing - beautiful weather, nice lake, great fishing. It was my cousin's first time ever salmon fishing and we managed a nice mixed bag of kings, coho, and a few nice steelhead. We fished from 5:30 til 10 AM and finished up 15 for 21. All fish released except two. We lost a nice king at the back of the boat - it actually bent the treble hook and that was it. Everything worked today and we managed to finish the day with a triple. Boats were a little tight at times and probably shame on me for running 600' of copper, but it was working so it was hard to put it away....

Speed: 2.2 to 2.9 at the ball

Presentations: 600' copper with Green dot Spinny/Hammer fly worked great, 5 and ten color core with DW S orange crush managed a few, two wire bites with a watermellon Spinny/Watermellon fly (280' back, #3 setting), and the rest were on the riggers with free sliders(40' over 120' and 60' over 120', then as the sun came up we moved down deeper 100' over 140'). 42 second, Steelie Dan, NBK, watermellon, and pink alewife spoons all caught fish on the riggers.

Special thanks to Missdemeanor for the advice on free sliders - we managed three "bonus" fish that way

- Chris (Yellow Trophy)

Chris;

I heard you on the radio telling somebody you had a 600' copper out, it made me smile..I know where you were fishing..in the pack. I moved away from the pack and had a great day out there also...many many fish!!

Hi Mark,

Glad to hear you got in the fish, too!! The exception to the rule was one fish on at a time - we had many doubles/triples and non-stop action for the past two hours or so. The nicer kings were deep so we needed that darn copper!!!

We found a nice skum-line around 140' or so that us and another Trophy were working and it was loaded with fish...

See ya next weekend - I hope this keeps up!

- Chris

Chris -

You did great. We could not repeat the success we had from last Saturday. Trolled from 6:30 a.m. to 11 a.m. and we only landed two kings early in the morning.

We did hit that scum line in 140 FOW and I saw the white trophy in that area- it could be the one you referred to in your report.

I think my problem was that I did not set my riggers deep enough. Yes, I lost my copper set up last Friday - the rail mounted rod holder slid down and there goes my favorite set up. The whoe time, I wished I had spent more money on a better rod holders. Will be ordering two more copper reels from ATOMIK. Perhaps, I should look up for a Cisco rod holders system.

Thanks again for the great report.

Tight lines.