Having a some troubles with the roemer liberator release

I have been using the roemer liberator release this season for my fixed slider. This is my first year using this technique instead of the rubberband method. I have a few problems i need worked out.

1.) the top part of the release does not trip when it hits the eye of my pole.

2.) I am getting alot of tangles with my leader off the liberator when reeling my main line in. My leader consists of a snap at each end- should i try ball bearing swivels?

thanks for the help

Gambler,

Do you tie the rubber band right directly to the cable? Do you double hitch it to the the cable and over hand it on the mono? I also have the Roemer releases and have lost the metal lock tabs before and paid what I thought alot of money for a little piece of bent alluminum to replace it. I get them them to release either before bringing up the ball.

Tangles will happen from time to time when using cheaters, its just something to expect. I use cheaters almost every trip my downriggers hit the water and i use liberators for my fixed cheaters. The liberators really work great but (like everything else) there is a learning curve with cheaters.

1- i usually lock them on too tight so i dont rely on the rod tip to "trip" the liberator. Either have someone else remove it completely or have them trip it while fighting a fish.

2- i run them upside down from the package directions. this alllows the fish to hit and then slide down the line to the main lure (less tangles, especially with other lines).

3- you definetely need good swivels on your cheater lines. with a short piece of line on a cheater it really doesnt take much to get it twisted up. I also run them on my 20# downriggger rods rather than 15# so when there is a tangle its alot more manageable.

i know the subject is about liberators , but i have a question to those who use the rubber bands. at which end of my leader do i use the just a snap and which end do i use the ball bearing sweivel and snap at the lure or at the end where the rubber band is?

Raider,

I bought a few of the Liberators this year as well. I have run them only twice, but haven't had either of the problems you noted. The have slid down my line when reaching the top rod eye with no issue. If this becomes a problem I will discontinue using them, as I fish alone often, so i can't rely on someone else to trip/remove it. I actually bought these so I could use 2 (or more?) fixed sliders when I am in search mode by myself. I have run 2 off the main line without issue so far. Regarding tangles, I use ball-bearing snap-swivels at each end of the leader, so that probably helps.

We run a larger swivel on the liberator end to add weight, which helps it slide down the line. To release the liberator against the rod tip, you have to grab the line ahead of the reel and give it a pull. When running the liberators on anything less than 15# line we reach up and release the liberator by hand.