sludge from outboard

mdryer

That oil has to come from somewhere. I'd check lower unit oil first, for signs of water and definitely check the prop shaft seal.

Is the engine running real rich? Gas treatments in the gas? Correct oil in the engine/gas? 1st time you've run it this year? If the engine sits for a long time with the gas treatments in the cylinders, exhaust will be full of cr@p.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

I agree that it is probably cheap 2 stroke oil that doesnt burn 100%, Try running the expensive stuff like quicksilver, or whatever oil your engine make reccomends.

I ran the cheap stuff "ONCE" through my merc and had the same issue.

Almost all 2 stroke engines that are run on a low rpm while trolling have a problem with unburnt oil building up in the exhaust housing no matter what oil you use.It just does not get blown out of the exhaust outlet because of low pressure connected to low rpm.Believe it or not but at low rpm the exhaust housing will partly fill up with water and the unburnt exhaust oil and gunk floats on top of it until it gets out by either running your engine at a high rpm for a while or by pulling your boat out of the water.Both Johnson and Mercury engines have exhaust ports at the top end of the exhaust housing but the fumes usually only come out when the engine is run at a low rpm.this is also because of the above mentioned reason

Usually you find out about it when you come back home and see this black, grey or sometimes bluish or greenish (dependent on the tc-w3 oil color) gunk coming from your lower unit.

A good way to get rid of it is by running at WOT for a few minutes before you load your boat onto the trailer.

If you want to make sure that you do not pollute the environment,you can use a synthetic oil. These oils produce far less smoke and they are biodegradable.They also cost a lot more than regular oils

Whatever you do,do not try to use less oil than recommended.It will destroy your engine.

A little bit too much or even a lot too much oil will not hurt your outboard in any way.