Gotta Bite: Fishing Report

23' Maroon Sea Sprite

==============

TRIP OVERVIEW

==============

Jul; 2. Fished one hour and landed a 12" brown on a Stinger Brown Trout spoon off the planer board. The waves picked up and we came in and were stuck in port until Jul. 5th

Did not see any boats on the water from my camp at Selkirk. Fellow LOU member Rich D. called me to say they were catching some out deep and asked if I was coming out. I was a bit apprehensive since I was fishing with my wifes cousin and husband and they have very little big water experience. I was tired of looking at the campfire for the past two days and was dying to get on the lake. It was a bit bumpy on the way out but it paid off in the end. We finally go the the riggers down and poles in the water at 11:30.

Time on Water 10:45-5:30

Temp/Weather: Sunny and Windy

Waves 2' to 3' evetually laying down around 4:00

Surface Temp:64

===============

FISHING RESULTS

===============

Total Hits: 6

Total Boated 3

Species Breakdown: 2 Kings, 1 Steel head

Hot Lure: NBK Mag spoon

Trolling Speed: 3-4 mph

Down Speed: 2.1-2.5 mph

Boat Depth: between 170'-240'

Lure Depth: 140'-175'

====================

SUMMARY & FURTHER DETAILS

====================

Dropped a dipsey rod with a Mi. Stingray spoon no flasher and within 5 minutes of trolling a large smack on the pole it was gone. I must have had a kink in the wire line or something. The whole rig was lost. Decided to just stick with 3 poles because of the waves and a few tangles due to the waves and undercurrent. I had a hit on a froggy glow down 165' and it was off ,after a few seconds. Things slowed down for an hour or so. Sun was getting high. Put a NBK stinger on and dropped it down 175' and had a hit almost immeadiately. My wife's cousin boated a 24" king after a brief battle. Riggers were slow for awhile. I tried a few proven steelie spoons off the planer. They finally liked a DW Steelie Dan. We took 2 hits before finally connecting and hooking up on the third. Again the wife's cousin got a nice fish. 28" Steelie it put up a much better fight than the king. Taking out line a few times before we could finally net it for her.

We were on our final troll back I decided to make a change on the one rigger pole. I put on a just recently purchased NK Sea Sick waddler with a black spin doctor with white glow tape a green dots. I was talking to my buddy who was reeling in the planer board to change it out. I was just got done putting it down down to 175'. It was not even down there a minute and the pole popped and doubled over. I grabbed it and knew it was a a nice one. The reel was screaming out line. She made three nice runs. Almost spooled me on the first run. It took me about 20 minutes to get it in. It straightened out one of the treble hooks to. It came off in the net also. It's my biggest salmon that I have caught in my boat to date. I had it weighed at Woodys Tackle shop it was 25lbs and measured 38". I hope this is an indication of things to come later on in the year. Thanks again Rich for that call otherwise I probably would not have been out fishing.

P1010083.jpg

P1010089.jpg

Chris,

You are welcome, glad to see you were able to get the newbie a couple of fish. The fish were there that is for sure, just wish the water was a tad nicer.Good Luck.

Rich