Sonar question

blackdog_2

I'm looking to upgrade my current FF (Lowrance X50 DS - 83/200 kHz, 1500w peak to peak, 240v pixels). The lake I fish (lake trout/smallmouth) is upto 200' deep and I loose bottom at around 80FOW on 200kHz. Then I switch over to 83kHz, get vertical lines for a minute or so until it recalibrates. Basically a PITA piece of crap FF.

Anyhow, the plan is to move the X50 to the bow for when I'm fishin the shoreline and use the new FF at the console for trolling. From what I've read on this site, some important features are high power output, dual frequency and colour. I would think high vertical pixel count would also be a good thing.

I would like a FF that would not loose bottom on 200kHz, pick up the lakers sitting on bottom and show the thermocline. I'm looking at the Eagle SeaFinder 480DF and the Humminbird 718 and 728. Any comments on these units or other comparable units would be appreciated. I don't want to make the jump to GPS or colour as it doubles the cost.

Will a 4000w PtP finder on 200kHz keep bottom (200FOW)? What about 2400w PtP (Humminbird 718)?

Thanks GAMBLER. At first, that's what I thought too. When I googled the problem, most guys complained about the FF reading say 1.x feet in any depth of water. Not really the issue I'm having, so that's why I thought the unit may not be powerful enough. Mine reads fine upto around 80-100FOW, looses bottom and flashes. Once I troll back into 80-100FOW it regains bottom and is fine.

Anyhow you probably right. I have an old Eagle Cuda with a compatable 200kHz transducer that I'm going to swap out.

Whatever the problem is, the X50 is getting moved to the bow and I'll get a new unit for the console. Anyone have comments/opinions on the Eagle SeaFinder 480DF and the Humminbird 718 and 728.

I was having the same problem with my Lowrance X-91. It would read bottom up until about 70 ft then would lose it off and on. Just replaced it with the Eagle 480 DF . I've only been out twice since but it seems to work great. Marks the rigger balls clearly and I actually saw fish for the first time in ages. I would have loved to go color but it isn't in the budget right now. The 480 DF seems to be a good unit for the money from what I can tell from the short time I've had it.

Rick

• 4 weeks later...

Well the Cuda xducer is pooched also. I tried the cuda on the x50 xducer and the x50 on the cuda xducer. All resulted in loosing bottom as I went deeper. Decided to reset the x50 to see if it would magically fix the problem. Now it only comes on in sim mode. Manual says it's a problem with the xducer. Atleast it would work some of the time before the reset.

Of course I did all this the first day at the cottage. Really sucked flyin blind for 2 weeks.

2 pooched eagle/lowrance xducers. Think I'm gonna try humminbird and remove the xducer for the winter.