Olcott FishStyx Report 7-17, 7-18 and 7-19

I had Danny Letcher from the Newfane Marina out with me on Friday for the LOTSA Club Tournament pre-fish tourny. Wes Walker from the Slippery Sinker was also supposed to come along but he had some business issues and had to pass. Day started off a little rough with 2-3's but laid down flat as the day went on. We had a decent day, actionwise, boating 2 matures that we weighed in for the tourny, 1 just under 22 lbs the other around 17, other than that it was shaker central. Saw a mix of both clipped and smaller (wild) unclipped shakers), 13 fish total for the day.

Almost entirely a rigger bite on friday. Green double glow opti inticer and green krinkle atommik took both matures 70 down on the probe rigger. Spoons took most fish. NBK stingray was on the other rigger set at 80 ft with an NBK Dreamweaver SS as a slider and both took fish regularly. 200' copper took 1 fish with a dalmation R&R.

Saturday, the LOTSA Tourny postponed due to the big waves and the fact that we have some pretty small boats in the club, but but Adam, Zech and I went fishing anyways. went 5/6 with 2 skips and 3 matures landed. we dropped a 30 lb class king 30 feet behind the boat and landed 1 that went 24lb 8 oz on the LOC derby scale (20th place at the time was 24lb 9 oz, so we fell just short) and also took kings at approx 17 and 20 lbs (released).

All matures came on either a wire diver 240 back on a 2 or probe rigger 70 down, white/white (double crush glow) spin doctor with glow wonderbread atommik on both rigs. Unpleaseant fishing in the 3-5 footers.

The LOTSA tournament was a go on Sunday, we got out early and found residual 1-2s from the night before, but set up in 50 fow off the microwave and saw a great picture of bait and hooks, but couldn't get em to go, the NW on saturday pushed temps deep, we had 66 deg on bottom in 50 fow so we turned NE and started trolling out as we headed north we started popping fish regularly taking a 15 lb king on the same white/white glow wonderbread combo on the probe rigger, 120 ft of cable out to get 43 deg, and then a 20 lb king on the same combo, with some shakers mixed in.

After a while we started popping steelhead like crazy and I looked over at the graph and saw we had gotten out to 420 fow in front of the powerplant so we turned around and trolled back in, finally stopped hitting steelies inside 275 fow. Some nice solid steelies out there, nothing over 10 but we had 4 or 5 in the 7-9 lb class. (all released). NBK stingray was on fire on the wire diver 205 bakc and the good old classinf black and purple NK28 down 68 on the 2nd rigger took a bunch of hits as well.

We finished up the day with a small brown trout on a silver green prism pro troll and TG Hammer atommik 240 back on a wire diver in 170 fow (what the heck was she doing out there) and then another 20 lb king just before 12:00 on an nkb stingray 100 back on the other wire diver. 24/24 fish in the boat on sunday. Somehow we managed to not drop a single fish that we hooked.

Another rough day with the lake building to the same 3-5's we had on saturday. I still feel like someone has been beating me with a club after 3 days straight of fishing in that rough water, but overall a really nice weekend of fishing.

The LOTSA picnic on Saturday was great. We filleted all the fish from the friday pre fish tourny and cooked em as part of the picnic on saturday, the blackened salmon was a great addition to the vittles this year.

Tim

Nice report Tim. Outstanding 24/24 on Sunday. We only went 2 /6 but we only stayed out 2 hrs. Couple of guys started getting light headed. I thought Sunday was worse than Saturday. We lost a lot of gear Sunday as well including a ball.

Thanks for the report. See ya on the water.

Shade