Ready to roll, and a probe question...........

Spent the day switching the boat over from local fishing to Lake O fishing. Checked all my DR terminal gear and found a couple weak spots, re-terminated and good to go. All I have left is to check the air in the tires and pack the truck up on Tuesday. Be fishing Wednesday.

Now my question , thought of as I was re-terminating the riggers:

Last year I picked up a Cannon S&T. This set up requires me to connect the probe to the cable which I do with a spade connection. In order to have cable hang out of the termination swivel that connects to the probe I used a Walker brand connection.

Now here is where things get a little fuzzy. I didn't think you want to connect the weight directly to the probe so I made a 12"" give or take cable with swivels on each end. One end I attach to the weight the other to the bottom of the probe. I also run MAG10's which have auto up stop that uses a plastic link. Last year I ran that link below the probe which brought my probe out of the water every time the rigger comes up. Looking today at the way I had it set up I thought it would be better if I had the S&T probe stay below the surface so I moved the plastic link up.

Now my set up is:

Cable to walker swivel termination with tag end with spade wire connection. Plastic link, swivel to the top of the probe (connect spade connector to probe), 12" wire line with swivel connected to probe bottom and other end connected to the weight.

I used a Scotty release last year the connected with a long line snap. This allowed me to connect to the cable above the probe.

If I used an in-line style (blacks, chamberlain) where would you connect that? To the top of the probe?

I am trying to get a feel for the average set up using S&T probes . Where releases are placed and what is the distance between probe and weight.

I'm also thinking of running some flash off the riggers. Would running flash off the probe rigger be too much since it already has the drag of the probe? I only have two riggers so that is why I ask.

You know prepping to fish is almost as fun as fishing, and on some days better, LOL.

Thanks,

Mark

CaptSpike,

I also run a Cannon S&T and the only difference is my ball is only 6" from my probe. I use scotty release so probe stays in the water but I do not run flashers off the probe, I have 3 riggers. I always have at least one rigger on spoons anyway.

Shade

I run a blacks release above the probe and run anything off of it. Some days the probe brings them in and a short lead is hot some days the rigger is the slow one -- that is the day I run the flashers off the rigger 40' back.

Today I fished on a friends boat and he had his blacks release below the probe, just above the ball. That worked fine as well.

As long as your probe is reading and your not gettings tangles you are fine however you rig it, just use a good release.

CC

CB I am going to try the Chamberlain release this week. It says 4.5 lbs when dialed to full. I think it will be enough to sink a sharp hook home. Not sure if it's enuf to hold a spinny though. We'll see. I will also try below the probe with a release. I guess my main question is how close the probe is to the weight. It looked like a driect link would put the Cannon S&T too close.

Spike