melting stator

empty hook

I just went through replacing the power pack on my 9.9 Johnson 4-stroke. I did some research, and it appears that these 2 items are the most common replacement items. Apparently they are sensitive to heat. How old is the water pump? Does the tell-tale was a strong stream? I guess there is also a possibility of deposit build-up on the thermostat that can restrict flow. I will be changing out t-stat and water pump at the end of the season, and probably make these an every other year maintenance item.

Couple of thoughts from personal experience. If you are charging your batteries with the kicker, make sure all the connections and cables are good to the batteries. If that charge doesn't have anyplace to go it can heat up the electrical components. Also. if there is a battery switch involved, don't ever turn the switch to off while the kicker is running and trying to charge. The cooling water on my engine doesn't really go anywhere near the stator on my engine.

All I am saying is that my stator is an inch or so away from the block, not in direct contact with the cooling water like my rectifier is. I guess if the whole business under the cowel is hotter than the stator would be too, so I can see your point also.

When I cooked my stator, I had only turned off the battery switch off by mistake for a couple of seconds but about ten minutes later we were without power. Could have been a coincidence but I have always read to never turn off a battery switch on a running engine.