Cayuga Conditions Bad!

There is crap everywhere. The lake is very very high. So high I couldn't put the boat in the lift and I had to move the jet ski form its lift to my boat lift. It going to be windy today and lots of people are going to lose docking so the debris is only going to get worse.

The lake is so high that the level is now above the floor in my basement. I pumped out over 1000 gallons of water from it this weekend. Nothing can get ruined but its a PITA for sure.

I hooked an 8 to 10 lb brown off the dock on sat but lost him quickly. The perch and gills are not in yet.

RR

Just curious how, and who, regulates the water level on Cayuga. Obviously they lower the level in winter, is that to accomodate the spring run off? How about now with the water level so high, can't they let it out fast enough, or once they close the gates in the spring, they stay closed?

I just looked at Taughannock. Docks in the marina are underwater (this includes ramp dock), and the stone bridge now goes to an island- the marina is connected to the lake on the North side of that bridge, the little hut is standing in water.

Like ray just said, they can't let it all out at once, plus all the Fingers drain through the same river, it is indeed a lot of water! I believe the drop from Geneva to Oneida Lake is only ~22 feet, pretty low gradient and the water doesn't move too fast. There was still snow in the Finger Lakes National Forest on Sunday too. Also on Sunday, I saw that some homes near the Canoga marsh were inaccessible.

I talked to the hydrologist in charge yesterday. He can only let out so much or he said the homes on the canal would be totally lost. Its allready over flood stage on the canal. He expected Cayuga to crest yesterday afternoon but we got a lot of rain last night from the storm, so I'm thinking its still going to come up more today. The canal drains seneca and cayuga. Thats a lot of water to put into 1 canal.

The lake homes are fine on my road but the docks and beach areas are gettin hammered. Lucky for me I have a very high dock, so I'm ok there so far. There are a lot of docks submerged and a few almost under. Its been several (7) years since I have seen the lake this high.

RR