Copper & Dipsy

stan

Copper and fishing a dipsy are 2 different tactics to Target trout and kings. I dont think anyone runs dipsys on copper probably due to the diameter of the copper vs the diameter of SS wire to achieve a greater depth. The coppers strength is that it can catch the fish that the wire divers cant sometimes because it is that stealthy and far behind the rest of your spread.

Stan, and to those who haven't tried it let me explain that wire is wire and that the 30 lb copper I use serves two purposes on my boat. Not only is a good depth presentation all by it's self but it can pull a dipsey WITHOUT ring and achieve the same depths as wire and in some cases even deeper. This eliminates the necessity of having so many different rods and reels in the boat equipped with both steel and copper. The steel can only be used with a dipsey for depth and that is it. It will not achieve depth all by it's self and therefore it can only serve one purpose....just tow a dipsey. The copper can do that and be run off boards or run straight off the boat. Three different ways of use. The only real reason to use Steel at all is for the reduction of sea fleas which the copper does as well. You can achieve the same depths as steel with the use of 30 lb braid and a dipsy but it collects fleas too much. Most of the guys here use 45 lb copper and it's thickness is counter reactive to the dipsey attaining a depth as much as the 30lb copper.

All three of my copper rigs are terminated with 30lb seaguar flourocarbon leaders of at least 8 feet. This keeps the copper far ahead of your target lure and is generally not a deterent to the fish. I have a 150, 300, and 600 copper that have a wide array of uses for whatever depth I want to achieve.

OK, now I have opened pandora's box. :rofl:

Mark