"buzzing" transducer

HeavyA

I just had a new fishfinder/gps installed on my boat and when I turned it on I noticed that the transducer makes a quiet but audible buzzing noise. Has anyone ever encountered anything like this before? I wonder if maybe the fishfinider wasn't wired properly or something. I guess the only way to find out if it is installed properly is to take it out on the lake for a test run, but I don't want to fry the unit if there is a short somewhere. Thanks for any help.

Dear Fish Finder Owners, Operation of a transducer out of water will shorten it's life span, especially on higher power transducers. Only turn on the unit for a very short test period. Yes they do make some odd sounds at times, especially 50 KHZ transducers. Some mfg's recommend no operation out of the water! I usually test the finder/ transducer by placing the "ducer" in a pail of water when the boat is out of the water. BE SURE and turn off the electronics before you take the boat out of the water. Another piece of wisdom that will save you money in the long run......Jet Boat Bill

Heavy try the bucket of water thing and let us know what happened. I'll be honest I dint know not to turn it on w/o the t-ducer in the water. but now i do. Luckily i never had a reason other that when i first installed to test it.