Buckle Up Out There

Reel Doc

We all certainly extend condolences to the family of the bowhunter who died yesterday from what looks to be a fall from his tree stand.

Certainly another reminder to all of us to stay safe in the woods. Please, Please wear your safety equipment when up a tree. If you do not have a sound safety device get one now. The hunter safety system vests are one example of a safe secure and comfortable restraint device that will protect you from serious injury.

Good luck to all afield, and stay safe.

Greg

a good friend of mine died that way about 4 years ago. Fell out of his tree stand and split his spleen open. Hunting alone, no cell phone, and died crawling to his truck. Wasn't found till the next day when his wife called authorities to report he hadn't come home. :(

A DPW worker from my hometown had his stand collapse (platform broke) he now answers phones for the DPW in a wheelchair, paralized form the chest down. :(

I always thought that if I'm climbing with my stand while hugging the tree I couldn't fall, I was always hanging on. I used to do this without a saftey harness. I would hook up when I got up there. Well I didn't expect to bend over one morning in the dark to take the straps off my feet, and when i stood back up I "blacked out" and was dizzy, that feeling you get when your sleep deprived. I didn't realize i was falling out backwards. somehow at the last second i grabbed for the tree in front of me and JUST, barely got a hold of the tree with my fingertips. I was going out backwards from 25 feet. I surely would not be here today if i fell. Since then I NEVER climb wothout being strapped to the tree as I climb.