Rod Holder Tree

Ray

I am considering getting the big jon Rod holder tree this winter. Has anyone used this type of rod holder system? If so, can you give me some pro's and con's. I would use it mostly for planer boards...not sure if I can run a dipsy off it.

Thanks, Ray

I think most of the units out there can handle a dipsy rod in the bottom holder (as long as you use a backing plate when you install) but for that kind of $, I'd get the traxtech- it's got a lot more features! I built a set of 3 rod trees for a small fraction of what any of the commercial units cost.

Chowder, thanks for the reply...do you have a picture of the set-up you are using?

I am changing the layout on my boat and have the bert's track with the racheting rod holder for the dipsy. I am looking to free space on the sides of the boat. I am trying to plan this move so if I decide to run two dispsies on each side I will have the holders. Mainly my tree holder would be used for spring fishing and some leadcore during summer.

Ray

Sorry no pics. If you have enough track though I would think pretty hard about just adding some more Bert's ratchet holders. At $90/unit x 4 your gonna spend 1/2 what a pair of most of the commercial tree units cost.Look at it this way; In the spring you wont very often want to be running dipsies + 3 flat lines/ side and in the summer you won't often want to to run 2 dipsies/ side + more than 1 copper or core off the boards, either way you look at it if you all ready have 1 Berts ratchet/side and you get 4 more, you really got things pretty well covered.

chowder, thanks for the advice...not sure what I am going to due at this point. I guess I can sit on it since the boat is not coming out again until April. I am already counting the days till spring fishing again.

Ray,the reason I suggested just adding 2 more rod holders/ side if you all ready have 1 ratchet+ the track is that the rod tree is going to eat up almost as much space as 2 more rod holders. If you are starting from scratch I think I would go w/ the new Traxtech 3 holder tree on a short section of Track (I am assuming your riggers are all ready mounted in a spot you are happy w/) using a healthy size backing plate. If you do this you will truly cleanup the sides of the boat. The further back you go w/ mounting that tree will eliminate some of planer line's tendency to snatch a rod into the drink on turns. I think I would steer away from the "fixed" trees b/c the holders are going to catch a dock piling or something else eventually. Mine are just a piece of track welded to a piece of aluminum w/ a flange on it that fits into the track mounted on the boat. Then I put 3 extra rod holders that came w/ my Islander into the track w/ the foot, this way when they are not in use they all adjust to stay inside the boat. When I adjust them out each one is set at a different angle to keep my planer rods seperate. If you are planning to run a slide diver or shallow dipsy rod in conjunction w/ 3 planer rods in the winter/spring you might want to think about the 4 rod tree, but it looks like $800 for the pair (ouch!)